• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unfair competition for the helluvit. Larceny (and not WA’s #1 “Barrel Proof”) won out over the slightly “grassy-er”Blanton’s... according to both my wife (a wine type gal) and myself...
6D2132EF-F236-49A5-A809-9A6D0B18DD22.jpeg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a Sazerac rye (not the 18, the cheaper stuff), and there's something very off about it. Almost tastes corked, which I've never seen in a spirit before. I usually appreciate the younger Sazerac when I can find it.

Weird and disappointing. :-(

edit: It shows up in cocktails too. Tried a Boulevardier, which is not exactly a shy cocktail, and that wet cardboard note still comes though. Bleh. I've never thrown out a spirit before but this might be the first.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a Sazerac rye (not the 18, the cheaper stuff), and there's something very off about it. Almost tastes corked, which I've never seen in a spirit before. I usually appreciate the younger Sazerac when I can find it.

edit: It shows up in cocktails too. Tried a Boulevardier, which is not exactly a shy cocktail, and that wet cardboard note still comes though. Bleh. I've never thrown out a spirit before but this might be the first.

Assume you've tried Rittenhouse? It is my go to for cocktails. If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying to find this - how does it compare with the SE4?
I still really like what Makers has been doing with their finishing series. Sure they are a little more expensive but I really like the profiles as a single malt guy.
Sorry, that doesnt answer your question. Just an observation.

eta: Plus I get to mess with a wax cap, right @Omega Male?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assume you've tried Rittenhouse? It is my go to for cocktails. If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl.

Yeah Rittenhouse is my staple.

I've had plenty of Sazerac before, I think this one is just bad for some reason.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still really like what Makers has been doing with their finishing series. Sure they are a little more expensive but I really like the profiles as a single malt guy.
Sorry, that doesnt answer your question. Just an observation.

eta: Plus I get to mess with a wax cap, right @Omega Male?
Their wax cap isn't too bad because it has the little pull tab.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah Rittenhouse is my staple.

I've had plenty of Sazerac before, I think this one is just bad for some reason.

Very strange, as I would think consistency would be something any distillery would target with ferocious intensity for a flagship brand. I have actually never tried Sazerac, and likely won't now..

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like Booker’s MSRP went up again. Really losing its value proposition

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being corked is not out of the question since the stopper is indeed cork. It is a rare event even in wine, but no reason it couldn't happen in the rye, too. And that's not a distillate QC thing either. Always sucks though so sympathies.

The Sazerac is I think still worth trying. My favorite rye for mixing in lighter cocktails, even over the Rittenhouse - I don't always want or need 100pf, especially in a 2oz cocktail. Plus the bottle is beautiful on the bar.

Back when there was the first rye crunch, I saw Saz going for $130/btl, which is cray though.

-H

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being corked is not out of the question since the stopper is indeed cork. It is a rare event even in wine, but no reason it couldn't happen in the rye, too. And that's not a distillate QC thing either. Always sucks though so sympathies.

The Sazerac is I think still worth trying. My favorite rye for mixing in lighter cocktails, even over the Rittenhouse - I don't always want or need 100pf, especially in a 2oz cocktail. Plus the bottle is beautiful on the bar.

Back when there was the first rye crunch, I saw Saz going for $130/btl, which is cray though.

-H

Sazerac goes for $25 around here, when you can find it. I score a couple bottles a year, and it's usually worth buying if nothing fantastic.

The Saz 18 is one of the few Grails I've never turned up.

I've only ever had maybe two bottles of corked wine, never had a corked spirit before. Very odd experience. I'd certainly give it another shot, figure this is a one off.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like Booker’s MSRP went up again. Really losing its value proposition

Probably haven't bought Booker's in over 2 years now for this reason. It was a fantastic value at $49.99, but once it hit north of $79.99, I just didn't like it enough to pay that. Almost afraid to ask where it is now.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

-H

I trust your palate, but Rittenhouse has been my go to for years now, and I just can't bring myself to change. That and my wife and I have great memories of the namesake park from when we lived there, so there's also that..

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like it was a lemon bottle. I've bought and drank plenty of it as it's my favorite QPR spirit. The retailer may be amenable to a bottle exchange or credit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads