Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Thanks for a couple of suggestions guys. I look forward to hearing from KF and ItS.

2. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Just bought a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle (15 year). Looking forward to trying it later this weekend.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Just bought a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle (15 year). Looking forward to trying it later this weekend.

Lucky you.. I can't find Van Winkle anything here.. I am still working on my bottle of 20 year, but making a significant dent tonight, like the philistine I am..

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

i was looking for soemthing to do tonight, looks like i found it: bourbon.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

i was looking for soemthing to do tonight, looks like i found it: bourbon.

{hic!}

6. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Pio: Unfortunately, I am not very well-versed in bourbon. Once I discovered rye, I sort of left the bourbon scene. But this thread may inspire me to come back. When I do, I will buy Pappy Van Winkle. It is the only recommendation I can give. They have a few bottlings in the 15-23 yr old range. Although I have only tasted Pappy once (it was the 15 yr old and it was after a few rounds), I remember liking it a lot. This is the best I can do. Look for the 20 yr old.

Hunts: For your rye, you must get Black Maple Hill 23 yr old. The price is somewhere around $130 after tax. It is sensational. I don't talk about it much only because I've been obsessed with Sazerac and Rittenhouse. Another option is the Sazerac 18 yr old. The 18 has SO MUCH character. It is completely underpriced at around $60 after taxes. It is truly a steal and your tastebuds will not know that you saved $40.

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Lucky you.. I can't find Van Winkle anything here.. I am still working on my bottle of 20 year, but making a significant dent tonight, like the philistine I am..

well if you want line on some check out the bourbons forums, they have threads that disuss the availibility of it or you can call them directly. sometiem the latter the latter workd better than the former if you buyit by the case.

8. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Pio: Unfortunately, I am not very well-versed in bourbon. Once I discovered rye, I sort of left the bourbon scene. But this thread may inspire me to come back. When I do, I will buy Pappy Van Winkle. It is the only recommendation I can give. They have a few bottlings in the 15-23 yr old range. Although I have only tasted Pappy once (it was the 15 yr old and it was after a few rounds), I remember liking it a lot. This is the best I can do. Look for the 20 yr old.

Hunts: For your rye, you must get Black Maple Hill 23 yr old. The price is somewhere around $130 after tax. It is sensational. I don't talk about it much only because I've been obsessed with Sazerac and Rittenhouse. Another option is the Sazerac 18 yr old. The 18 has SO MUCH character. It is completely underpriced at around $60 after taxes. It is truly a steal and your tastebuds will not know that you saved $40.

do not underestimate the 10 year old or 12 year old of rip van winkle.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

So I am thinking about trying some rye - what are some good bottles in the $20-40 range?

10. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

So I am thinking about trying some rye - what are some good bottles in the $20-40 range?

Sazerac 6 year old, ~$25

11. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Sazerac 6 year old, ~$25

+1

12. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

+2... also enjoy the Bulleit Bourbon in the lower end of this price range. Hell, even Buffalo Trace might do the trick at the lower end, as well.

13. Salad

Salad Senior member

Rittenhouse 100proof, $20ish
    Michters, $45ish

I like both of the above but Pikesville Supreme isn't bad either and that's like $13. It's not as oaky (is that a word) as the other two mentioned which is fine by me. At $13 a bottle, give it a shot.

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Hmmm so I am drinking a Sazerac 6yr.. I like this! A lot!

How do rittenhouse100 (it's only $17 at local store) and templeton compare?

15. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

The Rittenhouse is good, not sure about Templeton.