Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I'd like to try pappy 20 year. Basil Haydens for me tonight.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

You guys are killing me. Just poured some A. H. Hirsch. Damn.

3. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Continuing my foray into off the beaten path bourbons, and picked up a bottle of Noah's Mill. Very nice with a splash of water..

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I had some rye the other night that was quite tasty. Don't remember what it was called. I also tried a kind called "Ri" (with the bar over the I to tell you how to pronounce it) which was not good at all.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I had some rye the other night that was quite tasty. Don't remember what it was called. I also tried a kind called "Ri" (with the bar over the I to tell you how to pronounce it) which was not good at all.

I've heard that also.. The packaging is very impressive, but the contents leave something to be desired.. I picked up a bottle of Forty Creek on the weekend which is technically a Canadian whiskey (which is mainly rye anyway) but not bad at all..

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Looked up some ryes and I think it may have been Old Overholt. I'll pick up a bottle soon and report back.

8. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

I'm looking for a bottle of Templeton Rye but haven't found a shady source willing to ship to Texas. California wine sellers seem to have no problem shipping me liquor but Binnys and Teddy's in Illinois won't do it for me.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This has been a great thread, and as conversant as I am in so many areas of tippling, Bourbon is a mystery to me.

I'm looking for a homework assignment. $100 or under, what Bourbon should I get for my first foray? Keep in mind, I like Speyside and smooth Canadian whisky. Hunts? The rest of you? What is my assignment?

10. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

This has been a great thread, and as conversant as I am in so many areas of tippling, Bourbon is a mystery to me. I'm looking for a homework assignment. $100 or under, what Bourbon should I get for my first foray? Keep in mind, I like Speyside and smooth Canadian whisky. Hunts? The rest of you? What is my assignment?
    rip van winkle 15 year old it usually under 100 dollars, at least us contact find it for that, if not the rip van 10 year old 107 proof for it´s strenght the taste is excellent and both are extremely smooth. on the lower end buffaloe trace

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yah that Ri stuff has been panned by all the serious spirits guys that I know, as well as our resident rye expert, IUtoSLU. Overholt's is classic, and the house rye of my favorite bar. Sazerac 6 is my FTW rye in that class though.
    This has been a great thread, and as conversant as I am in so many areas of tippling, Bourbon is a mystery to me. I'm looking for a homework assignment. $100 or under, what Bourbon should I get for my first foray? Keep in mind, I like Speyside and smooth Canadian whisky. Hunts? The rest of you? What is my assignment?
    Honestly, Pio, my experience in bourbon is the < $50 and >$200 categories, mainly because I use it for mixing. I need a sipping rye in the $100 range as well, though that is on hold right now. I was looking for the Parker Heritage 15 to fill that bill. South of $50 it's Woodford for me, at $200 it's the incredible A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 (which is stock on hand only now). King Francis and IUtoSLU can probably help you better. ~ H

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Honestly, Pio, my experience in bourbon is the < $50 and >$200 categories, mainly because I use it for mixing. I need a sipping rye in the $100 range as well, though that is on hold right now. I was looking for the Parker Heritage 15 to fill that bill. South of $50 it's Woodford for me, at $200 it's the incredible A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 (which is stock on hand only now). King Francis and IUtoSLU can probably help you better.

~ H

I could swing the Hirsch, I just won't get to buy any wine that week [​IMG]

Think it will fill the bill for a Speyside guy?

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I could swing the Hirsch, I just won't get to buy any wine that week [​IMG] Think it will fill the bill for a Speyside guy?
    Well the Hirsch will be like starting at the top and then slummin'. But hey, that's the way I've always liked to play. I want to say that it absolutely will fill the bill for a Speyside guy, but I should really confirm that. I think I will. In about half an hour.... ~ H

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yes, yes it will. However -- with good bourbon the sour mashy flavor replaces peat's role as the big counterpoint flavor in the spirit. But it is not Lagavulin-level, it's more like Bunnahabhain level.

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

This has been a great thread, and as conversant as I am in so many areas of tippling, Bourbon is a mystery to me.

I'm looking for a homework assignment. $100 or under, what Bourbon should I get for my first foray? Keep in mind, I like Speyside and smooth Canadian whisky. Hunts? The rest of you? What is my assignment?

If it were me, and being a relative no0b to bourbon, I would start where I started, Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old, if you can find it that is. Bourbon had never interested me until I tried this one, and now its an obsession. Interestingly, the space between $50 and $150 is pretty narrow. My local liquor store easily has more scotch whiskies than bourbon, and even then, most of the bourbons are less than $50 (thinking of the Dickel single barrel, not technically bourbon but close, Blanton's, Noah's Mill, Eage Rare) with only 3 or 4 in the > $50 area, at least for the 750 ml bottle.