1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Some of it looks like what you can get everywhere else, but I've never seen the Four Roses O_S_ limited editions at any of the average liquor stores in Ohio, even though the bottle shape is the same. Also, lots of beers that aren't easy to find. Not sure that I, personally, would make the trip just to hit Party Source, but it's certainly better than what I've seen in the average Ohio state liquor stores.

2. MWood

MWood Member

Growin' up in Louisville, you aren't exposed to many things unless you want to be exposed to them, and let me tell you, when I was about as young as 10 years old, I wanted to be exposed to bourbon. My dad would pull out the makers on a Friday evenin and I would sit and listen to him tell me all about how bright the stars used to be when he was a child living in Charlotte and boy does the smell of bourbon remind me of him. I guess I really started to love it when I realized it was a way for me and my daddy to relate to somethin, cause lord knows he isn't the warmest hearted man, but boy oh boy did that glass of makers warm his heart right up.

Now, makers is somethin special in my book, but have any of yall heard of pappy van winkles? i been dyin to get my hands on a bottle of that, my old man would kill for some too, it's just so hard to come by lol I really want to be able to share a bottle of that with him before he aint supposed to drink no more and bourbon is our way of bondin

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

No, never heard of it. Do tell.

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

What a beautiful story.. Is Pappy van Winkle a relative?

5. MWood

MWood Member

Well I commute so i started listening to podcasts--there is this one called Criminal which tells true crime stories and it talked all about Pappy Van Winkle bourbon and how it has caused a huge uproar in the bourbon community, thus creating a "grey market" which is less illegal than a black market for people to get their hands on it. It is so rare to come by that certain bars are packed when people hear about pappys bein available. I'd love to be able to see what this hype is--i even googled it and it sells online for upwards of 3,000.

In the podcast this one bar was so annoyed by the hype and unavailability of the bourbon that they got some and made jello shots with it lol--they got death threats for this

6. MWood

MWood Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Pappy is a bourbon that has gained huge fame in the south--i'm so curious to find out more

7. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I have a bad feeling about this (or: is this the next farmer's insurance threak?)

1 person likes this.
  8. MWood

MWood Member

What is a farmers inusrance threak?

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If you're ever bored feel free to read old posts here. You'll learn a lot. I think we been talking/whining about van winkle since the thread started (back when you used to be able to find it regularly on store shelves)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

No one will find you Van Winkle.

If your genuinely as green as you sound, it is perceived as even uncouth to ask. I somehow don't think you are though.

If you're really in Louisville, you could go to any number of bars that carry it. One I know for sure is the Old Owl Tavern in Harrodsburg, about an hour outside of LVille. Pony up the hundred bucks and order a couple of ounces. There are places downtown that have it as well. Haymarket may have it as well.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The lovely little dive bar three blocks from me (makes some of the best cocktails in the country) started out as a beer and whisky bar back in the day - they have/had a great selection on the shelves - including still some Stagg and PVW 23, and at reasonable (by today's standards) prices. Last night some hipsters were going on an on about the PVW and asked to see the bottle - they talked about how it is absolute 'firewater' that changes your life. Myths are funny, funny things, and men talking to each other about things they know nothing about are incredibly stupid. It's amazing.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  12. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ You're pretty much summed life up right there. I'll drink to that.

1 person likes this.
  13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I was at Jack Rose, and some table of Business Bros ordered a round of Pappy 23 for the table (like 12 people).

They did shots. Then all raved about how amazing it was.

:facepalm:

2 people like this.
  14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

They didn't actually shoot it like a tequila shot I hope. If they did... :brick::facepalm:

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Straight back, *gulp*, slapped the glasses down on the table afterwards.

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I broke out the Pappy 20 for my best friend's engagement. I poured him and I each a few fingers. He downed it, one gulp. I almost hit him.

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

1 person likes this.
  18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

:rotflmao:

I might try that if someone ever asks me what Mezcal is. That's a good explanation that sounds almost believable to the people that don't know any better.

19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Hmm . . . I would have thought that Jack Rose was relatively douchebro free. You need to go to Dram and Grain in the basement instead. But there you have another category of annoying: the Drink Instagrammer. :)

1 person likes this.