1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I think that's okay. I think talking about prices for stuff you plan to sell is a not permitted outside of B&S. I've talked about prices found in stores all the time and never been reprimanded.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't trust their palates even if they are industry leaders and I also don't think a massive blind tasting is the way to figure out which bourbon to label "the best". You're drinking a small amount of several dozen very high proof whiskeys. That's just not the way most people consume their whiskey. I find that drinking my way through a bottle is a very different experience than drinking a shot of something at a tasting or at a bar

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I've always thought Knob Creek was pretty good. I wouldn't call it the best although you can get some darn good bourbons for around Knob Creek prices. As I mentioned, Hancock's Presidential Reserve single barrel is one of my favorites and it's only a little more expensive.

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

Picked up a bottle of the OBSO Single Barrel 4R from Table & Vine today on a whim. Guessing its one of their less popular recipes as it is still hanging around to be purchased.

6. Caustic Man

Trying this one tonight. Definitely not as sweet and caramel-like as my Hancock's.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO] Still a fantastic bourbon for the price! One of the better bang for your buck options.

8. Caustic Man

9. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

I haven't had it in a while, but I used to get it for around $20 a bottle and remember it being fairly good. Perhaps the newer vintages aren't as good. Or I had bad taste then...

10. Caustic Man

To each their own. I thought it was a little rough.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

me too. i think its a little rough

12. kape

kape Well-Known Member

My local store reserved me a bottle of Cured Oak, $68. I'll try and remember to post my thoughts this weekend when I've sipped it a few times

13. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

@Caustic Man

Headed to Louisville in June for my bachelor party weekend. We are planning on making it to three distilleries on Saturday, 2 of which are Makers and Buffalo Trace. What's your suggestion for our third? We are thinking either Woodford or Four Roses since they are pretty close to Buffalo Trace. Any other recommendations for Friday and Saturday night are much appreciated.

14. Caustic Man

I would recommend Willett, it's right in the neighborhood. They are a small craft distiller and the product they put out is superb. Also, if you end up in Louisville head to Proof on Main for drinks.

1 person likes this.
  15. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Lots of hype surrounding this one. I am interested to hear how it actually is. Supposed to be close to a heavily oaked ER 17.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It's also right next to heaven hills which is nice if you want to squeeze in a brief trip. The HH premium tour gives you a sample of their really old stuff but prices at store are pretty crazy

17. Caustic Man

Yeah, Heaven Hill was nice, just a little touristy and over the top. Not that any distilleries are NOT touristy at this point, but you know what I mean.

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah. They're all really cheesy. Every single distillert kept harping on about their limestone filtered water and non GMO corn. Buffalo trace was my favorite. Got to taste white dog straight off the still and also tasted the sour mash. When you rub white dog in your hands you can really smell the corn

19. Caustic Man

They aren't all that way. At least not entirely. They all think they are special but a few really are.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Willett was not as touristy (as in no museum and promo video) but still was a lot of bullshit. they make it sound like they've been distilling forever. you have to kind of ask the right questions to have them tell you they haven't distilled in a very long time and only recently started up their still again. They also will only say an independent producer when you ask who distilla the stuff for them but it seems pretty clear where they get it. Maybe it has to do with trademark and licensing brand name issues

Anyways you should go to party source. My one regret but it was too out of the way for me