• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon recommendation

Aficionado

Reaction score
I like single malt scotchs better than bourbon. On the other hand I´ve only drank pretty cheap bourbons (<50euros). But now I`ve decided to buy some good bourbon. It would be nice if the price of the whiskey could be under 100euros.
rolleyes.gif

Can you recommend something ?
cheers.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Many bourbons have their champions. However, a quick run-down includes

Knob Creek
Booker's
Maker's Mark
Jim Beam Black (not sure on your price points over there)

Tennessee whiskey is similar to bourbon except that it is filtered through charcoal, which imparts its own flavor. For that I would recommend Jack Daniel's Black label.

In fact, I keep Jack Daniels on hand since I have friends who will drink only that and no other whiskey.

RJATL

Reaction score
I like Booker's (over 100 proof but smooth). Woodford Reserve &amp; Maker's Mark are good also. All 3 are true Kentucky Bourbons.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eagle Rare if you can find it.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're just starting out with bourbon, I'd generally suggest Maker's Mark, as it has a very approachable taste. However, since you have a taste for single malt scotches, you may prefer a smokier bourbon (you may find Maker's to be a bit too sweet). Given this, I'd recommend Knob Creek or Eagle Rare 10 yo. Hirsch 16 yo is very good, too, if you can get it (production was discontinued awhile ago). Baker's might also be a good choice, but a bit more pricey.

I like Booker's, but it's got a very high proof for bourbon (I think it approaches 130). You may find this off-putting, and I wouldn't recommend Booker's as a good "starter" bourbon (I only enjoy it once in awhile). Some other choices might be Blanton's (a very good, very smooth bourbon), Buffalo Trace (a very good, reasonably priced bourbon - don't know if you'll be able to get it), or Wild Turkey Rare Breed (I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be excellent - expensive).

I'm not a big fan of Woodford, personally. It's smokey, but I find the taste to be kind of thin and the finish to be weak.

Also, while not a bourbon, Jack Daniel's is a fine Tennessee Whiskey with a consistently good taste. You might find it too sweet, however.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A.H. Hirsch 16 year. 20 year if you like it stiff and strong.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
A.H. Hirsch 16 year. 20 year if you like it stiff and strong.

I thought the 20 year old was pretty hard to find at this point (and, if you do, it generally costs something like $200 per bottle). The 16 yo is very good (still pricey at around $70 to $80 per bottle).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
+1 on Knob Creek from a single malt drinker. Maker's mark is pretty blah, ok for mixed drinks.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Remember that Afficianado is from Finland, and what's available there is often significantly different from what's available in the United States. For example, I would recommend something from Wild Turkey (the Rare Breed is wonderful, and I like the Russel's Reserve, too), but the WT website tells me that the 80 proof, which is the least exciting WT bottling, is the only one available in Finland.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you describe the difference between Eagle Rare and Maker's Mark? I have both bottles right now and would like to compare notes with those more experienced with bourbon.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How would you describe the difference between Eagle Rare and Maker's Mark? I have both bottles right now and would like to compare notes with those more experienced with bourbon.

MM is a wheated bourbon, meaning that wheat is the grain used other than corn and barley. ER is not, meaning that rye is used instead of wheat. Rye tends to add more body and a more assertive "kick" than wheat. I would expect ER to be bigger than MM. I would also expect it to have more of the flavors imparted by contact with wood (caramel, vanilla, etc.) than MM does because ER is a 10 YO bourbon, which is several years older than MM.

mbc

Reaction score
Another vote for Knob Creek. I tend to alternate between that and Maker's Mark, but I prefer the former.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey
MM is a wheated bourbon, meaning that wheat is the grain used other than corn and barley. ER is not, meaning that rye is used instead of wheat. Rye tends to add more body and a more assertive "kick" than wheat. I would expect ER to be bigger than MM. I would also expect it to have more of the flavors imparted by contact with wood (caramel, vanilla, etc.) than MM does because ER is a 10 YO bourbon, which is several years older than MM.

Having tried both, I think this is spot on. Eagle Rare also does a 17 yo (I think) bottling. I have yet to try it.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I thought the 20 year old was pretty hard to find at this point (and, if you do, it generally costs something like $200 per bottle). The 16 yo is very good (still pricey at around $70 to $80 per bottle).
Yeah. I've got a couple of bottles stashed away in my home. Bought them back when they were about $110 a bottle. I should have bought more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads