• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought two new suits today, need advice on tailoring the fit.

theinternet

Reaction score
I picked up two new suits today at Macy's on the cheap. Before everyone gets up in arms about the brands not being top of the line, let me just say I am not made of money. I would love to buy a BB suit or two, but right now its just not happening.

The first suit (charcoal gray) I think fits almost perfectly aside from some pant length and arm length hemming and a few small details. I love the fit and plan to use this suit as a beater for more informal events and for going out. I won't have to worry about spilling a drink on this one. The rear of the pants is scrunched up in the picture, so ignore that.

The second suit (light gray) fits a bit larger. I am 5'11", 150 lbs, and the jacket is a 38R with with 32/32 pants. The crotch area is larger and overall I am unsure if I could get this tailored properly to fit, however wanted to take a chance on it and bring it home to get a second opinion from SF. I can return this one if necessary, but I really wanted a light gray suit.

I've read a ton of excellent advice and feedback from SF recently and have been (attempting) to absorb all of the insight that others have posted.

Also included are photos of some ties I picked up as well. The brown will go with the light gray suit, obviously.

Lastly, ignore the horrid shoes. I have a pair of AE on the way that should do the job.

Please, I'd love contructive criticism! Thanks
smile.gif

XVz6qh.jpg

XJXeVh.jpg

RP7zhh.jpg

g90Hsh.jpg

oxYT3h.jpg

rG7YLh.jpg

gpzPch.jpg

pIHDJh.jpg

ywKjQh.jpg

OhtkOh.jpg

tcaz3h.jpg

RQg4qh.jpg

614D0h.jpg

essej

Reaction score
Pants are too long. Shoes are hard to ignore. GL!

theinternet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by essej
Pants are too long. Shoes are hard to ignore. GL!

Shoes are getting tossed the moment my AE's arrive.

Navi

Reaction score
fit isnt bad on either, should look decent after getting the pants and sleeves hemmed + waists taken in. Shoulders look a tad large on both though.

and PLEASE STOP BUYING SATIN TIES! Every new person does this for some reason.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These are terrible. The tailoring needed to fix those jackets (assuming your chosen tailor can do the job) would cost as much if not more than what you spent on the suits themselves.

billsayers

Reaction score
The charcoal suit looks pretty decent. Just shorten the sleeve to hit your wrist bone and hem the pants to a single break and you should be good to go.

The light grey is a size too large and you should return them. The jacket shoulders and the pants are too big for your frame.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoulders too large, lapels too skinny. How much did you pay?

JG000

Reaction score
Ignore the Style Forum sheep, both suits fit pretty good by "real world" standards.

Obviously though, do get them tailored. Hopefully your tailor has a fair understanding of modern men's fit for someone with your build. Bring the sleeves in and shorten, taper the waist a bit, maybe shorten the gray jacket a smidgen, and slim down the pants

I have a feeling the tailoring will work wonders. Post before and after pictures. Ignore the asinine Style Forum banter and stick mostly to the realistic, constructive criticism.

theinternet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
shoulders too large, lapels too skinny. How much did you pay?

Which suit are you speaking of?

The charcoal one was maybe $170 (its a piece of junk but I like it for situations where I wouldn't want to soil a nicer suit). Its a Calvin Klein, but the material is a blend.

theinternet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Ignore the Style Forum sheep, both suits fit pretty good by "real world" standards.

Obviously though, do get them tailored. Hopefully your tailor has a fair understanding of modern men's fit for someone with your build. Bring the sleeves in and shorten, taper the waist a bit, maybe shorten the gray jacket a smidgen, and slim down the pants

I have a feeling the tailoring will work wonders. Post before and after pictures. Ignore the asinine Style Forum banter and stick mostly to the realistic, constructive criticism.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I am going to return the light gray suit this week because it needs too much alteration for it to fit well, and that will be a huge gamble because I do not have a tailor around me that I think can handle that. The charcoal suit should be simple and straight forward enough that I can have it done by anyone.

Also, whats wrong with satin ties?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes dreadful, both trousers too long, sleeves questionable at best (shorten) but otherwise, within your circumstances, fine.

All can be remedied at reasonable cost.

Ties if you must.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
These are terrible. The tailoring needed to fix those jackets (assuming your chosen tailor can do the job) would cost as much if not more than what you spent on the suits themselves.

For the cost of both suits, plus outsourced alterations, you could go to Brooks and pick up one 1818 suit on sale with the cost of most alterations included. I would go this route.

Aside from his "honest" commentary, which I find unnecessarily blunt, Matt's perspective on wardrobe building is spot-on. 'Tis far better to pay more for a few high-quality garments than to collect a closet full of rubbish.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
For the cost of both suits, plus outsourced alterations, you could go to Brooks and pick up one 1818 suit on sale with the cost of most alterations included. I would go this route.

Not necessarily

theinternet

Reaction score
Agreed on all the tailoring comments about the sleeve and pant lengths. Also, once again, shoes are getting tossed in a few days once my AE's come in.

Thank you everyone for the honesty, but I asked for constructive criticism, not all out bashing. If SF wants to add new members and encourage community, I'm not seeing it in this thread. Jus' sayin'.

theinternet

Reaction score
BB suits, even on sale, are out of what I am prepared to spend on a suit. Surely people who are not dropping $1K+ on a suit are allowed to ask style advice, correct?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads