• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought this Oxxford suit on eBay...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I'm going to do that post-ebay counseling-session thing here guys. Bear with me. Picked this suit up tonight for $100. Being naturally a suspicious sort, my assumption is not that I got a good deal, but that I was had.

oxxfordSUITsep1.jpg

So, anyone with Oxxford experience care to tell me what to be on the lookout for when this arrives?

While we're on the subject, I got out-sniped on this Oxxford an hour earlier.

13840847_tp.jpg

I think I prefer the gorge and lapels on the one I lost, but the glen plaid looks nice on the one I won.
Any chance I was bidding against anyone here on these?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pardon me, but do you think you've been had?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Pardon me, but do you think you've been had?

It's not that I think I've been had; clearly, I wouldn't have bid. But when I actually pick up something like an Oxxford suit for $100, I can't help but feel (like those RLPL Corbens...) that it's too good to be true. So I'm just second-guessing myself (actually, it's my wife's fault. When I told her I'd just ebayed an Oxxford suit for $100, she said, "How can that be genuine?" She got me all freaked out...)

I agree that the second one, the one I didn't win, looks newer. It also went for more than twice as much (although I probably could have gotten it if I'd been more disciplined).

Anyway, just blithering, obviously. 'night, all.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
So I'm just second-guessing myself (actually, it's my wife's fault. When I told her I'd just ebayed an Oxxford suit for $100, she said, "How can that be genuine?" She got me all freaked out...)

It's certainly genuine. The only question will be condition. It looks like a very nice suit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are alot of oxxford suits on ebay for $100 or so, most of them are older but that doesn't really matter that much with Oxxford, although as Vman said, it does have lower button stance and gorge.

pkincy

Reaction score
If you can handle the vintage look it will wear well for you. If not someone else will pay a $100 for it.

Perry

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nobody fakes Oxxford suits. The general buying public isn't familiar with Oxxford, and the trousers are just too hard to fake economically. That being said, the others are correct: watch for condition. I bought a dark gray Oxxford with a pinkish-orange windowpane (far more subtle than it sounds) for, I think, $180, and it looked like it had never been worn. But there are suits that go for more with at least a little obvious wear; it just depends on how the teeny, tiny Oxxford-buying audience feels like reacting that day.

As for style, yes this is slightly older, but it's not that 1993 droopy-gorge extreme. While I prefer a gorge and stance that are slightly higher, this is by no means outdated. Just have it altered to fit you well and enjoy the living hell out of it!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, all. That was just the sort of encouragement I was hoping to wake up to. For $100, I figured why not...

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Oxxford is probably the most undervalued brand on eBay. If this were NWT, I'd wonder if something were up. But in this case, I think you just got a good deal on a fine suit.

Yup, I've seen NWT Oxxofords go for $650 to $710 on ebay"”an amazing value (kicking my self for letting two go"”in a solid grey and a navy with a very subtle pattern no less).

Used Oxxfords seem to go for very cheap. I sometime watch the same ones go unbid on over and over.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
Yup, I've seen NWT Oxxofords go for $650 to $710 on ebay"”an amazing value (kicking my self for letting two go"”in a solid grey and a navy with a very subtle pattern no less).

Used Oxxfords seem to go for very cheap. I sometime watch the same ones go unbid on over and over.

I watched one go unbid-upon a couple of months ago. Then the guy relisted it, and I got outbid. Madness of crowds?

There's a pretty-looking dark-gray nailshead up there now, will probably go for $600 (1 bid so far). I'm tempted to give it a go, but as others have said, they seem to get listed pretty often.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the shure fire test. compare with an other jacket. the oxxford buttonholes are made finished on both sides. that is on inside as well as outside. no one else is doing this. at least not yet.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I've seen some of the used oxxfords. i usually pass, since most of them are altered too short, and also because some of them are older and therefore the gorge is a little off from my preferences.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I've seen NWT Oxxofords go for $650 to $710 on ebay—an amazing value (kicking my self for letting two go—in a solid grey and a navy with a very subtle pattern no less).

Yeah, I've seen some of the used oxxfords. i usually pass, since most of them are altered too short, and also because some of them are older and therefore the gorge is a little off from my preferences.

but the 600-800 nwt oxxford suits can be a steal. i have one (the best kind - a solid navy that's incredibly versatile) that i need to get to Will Field, and once I do that and get it back, I'll evaluate whether I want more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads