• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bought some bunk headphones on ebay, no refund. Any recourse?

lithium180

Reaction score
So I recently dropped about $100 with shipping on a used pair of Sennheiser HD 590s on ebay. The seller was an isoldit vendor so I figured (wrongly apparently) that the cans would be in good order.

Here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250240276464

After a week and a half, the headphones arrived at my house. The right one didn't work and the left ear rest was coming off of the body, which is not visible or indicated in the auction. I sent an ebay message to the seller (because their service email account returned my message to sender) asking for a full refund plus the cost of shipping for my return. Their first message came back like this:

We can offer a refund upon return of the item, however we cannot be responsible for return shipping.
I responded:

Hi,

Perhaps I am not understanding something here correctly. You are telling me that if your business sells me an electronic item that you claim works in an auction and then that item arrives to me and DOES NOT WORK, that I am responsible for paying the return shipping costs?

This does not seem like a sound or logical business policy. I don't think that a full refund including excess shipping costs is an unreasonable expectation for an item that was falsely advertised. It's not as if I am returning the item because I decided that I didn't want it. The item is unusable.

Please advise me of your thoughts on this and provide me with full name and phone contact information for whichever level of person at your company has the authority to authorize the full refund of my money.

Sincerely,
xxmynamexx
xxmyphonenumberxx
Then I got this today:

In our auction is states that the headphones look to be in good used condition, it did not say anywhere that they were tested and worked. Therefore, there was no false advertising on our part. Everything we sell is sold as-is. There will be no refund authorized.
I was shocked that a customer would be given this kind of response.

Does anyone know if I have any kind of recourse here? Is there an isoldit headquarters where I can lodge a complaint about this seller? Is it worth it to complain to ebay or paypal? This is very disappointing as all of my ebay transactions have been good so far.

datasupa

Reaction score
While somewhat sketchy, technically speaking they did not state it was in working condition. The devil is in the details on ebay listings. Plus, the headphones look absolutely disgusting, what were you even thinking.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
While somewhat sketchy, technically speaking they did not state it was in working condition. The devil is in the details on ebay listings.

It's still a cheap-ass stunt the seller pulled on him.

lithium180

Reaction score
I dunno, they still look all right to me based on the pictures. The ear pads are made of a velour type of material so I wasn't expecting them to be totally free of fuzz. And the plastic is without marks or scuffs.

I am thinking of getting my bank to freeze the transaction but am not sure if this would screw him over or paypal. I don't want to lose my paypal account...

There are too many layers of transactors here, I think I need a lawyer.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that the headphones look toast in the photos. And the eBay auction doesn't say anywhere that they were tested and in working order. These places get so much stuff from so many people, they just snap some photos, toss em and and on to the next item. I know this because I worked at the local isoldit on eBay dealie here in Edina, MN for awhile. Also, I would have just taken their first offer and shipped it back to them. C'mon, it's $6 parcel post. I sell on eBay and no longer accept returns because of all the stupidass stunts I got pulled on me " It looked darker in the photo", "It doesn't fit me right", " Sorry, changed my mind", "I recently read some bad reviews on this product and would like to return it". During the time I did accept returns, it was on the buyer. If he was determined to get his $ back, he'd spend the $4 to ship it back to me and I'd refund him. If not, I take it he did not care to get all his money back. Simple as that.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why are you even hesitating.

Make a Paypal claim though you might likely lose the claim because the item was delivered.

And if course if you bought it with a credit card, make an immediate claim to your CC company. Hopefully you did use a CC because you would likely win that claim.

lithium180

Reaction score
After I fired off an angry (yet polite) missive, I got an email back saying that the second email was in error and that they would accept a return. So back they go.

I'll still probably leave a neutral feedback saying that I can't recommend buying a piece of electronics equipment from the seller. Items that need to be tested shouldn't be sold without having done so.

Another ebay learning experience.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami