• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought some AE's - Now What

BBdude

Reaction score
Just purchased my first pair of AE's. Got them from Nordstrom Rack for $90!

Anyway - most of my shoes the leather on the upper cracks (not very bad, but when you run your finger across it or when they haven't been cleaned you can definitely feel/see the difference) where my foot bends. The last pair I bought (bostonian) I used lexol cleaner/conditioner along with kiwi wax before I wore them. Then I reapplied lexol/kiwi as I felt appropriate based on how the shoe looked.

Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I need to condition the leather more when the shoes are new?

Edit: Thought it was important to note I own a pair where this did not happen, despite treating the shoe the same. Perhaps the shoe that developed small cracks is a harder leather?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the AE should have better quality leather. i doubt it will crack the way you describe on the previous pairs.

for good measure get the AE leather conditioner and use it from time to time when you clean. also maybe use cream polish (meltonian, saphir) if you need to replenish color. cream polish is full of conditioner. a little wax will help too.

southbound35

Reaction score
In addition to all the conditioners and polishes and such, do you use shoe trees?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think A-E's Premium Shoe Polish is easier on shoes than wax polishes. Nordstrom sells the same polish under the Synovia brand name. I am pretty sure it is a German polish called Collonil or Collomil or something like that.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
In addition to all the conditioners and polishes and such, do you use shoe trees?

Always.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
your aes will not crack even without creams or conditioners. bostonians crack because the leather is a cheaper leather or a corrected grain.

I suspected such. Some of my Bostonians have done me, but the harder (stiffer?) leather always seems to crack a bit no matter how much I love them
confused.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Leather cracking is mostly due to the quality of the leather, but using properly fitting shoe trees and good quality conditioner and polishing products definitely help. I would use Angelus, or Saphir products, they are all natural and don't contain silicones, which can dry out leather. Lexol is good, but honestly I think Renovateur by Saphir is better. Also, just simply brushing your shoes before you wear them gets dust particles from settling in the creases, which can cause slow subtle wear as you walk. Also, never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. The leather needs time to naturally dry out and settle between wears.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
My AEs have been my only shoes to crack. My EG and Alden have not.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Id never use kiwi wax...awful stuff. the high alcohol content can really dry out the leather...Id switch from Kiwi to Lincoln....a better polish...and of course shoe trees.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Green uses Kiwi wax for the final finishing of their shoes. It can't be that bad, now can it?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Edward Green uses Kiwi wax for the final finishing of their shoes. It can't be that bad, now can it?

serious?! id NEVER use it on any of my shoes. Waaaay too much alcohol. not saying i know more than the folks at EG about shoes, but I wont use it.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
Just purchased my first pair of AE's. Got them from Nordstrom Rack for $90!

may i ask what model? what city was the nordstrom rack located in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads