Bought new shirts - Too Big

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Syed Zee Qadri, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Syed Zee Qadri

Syed Zee Qadri New Member

Hi there , I'm new love the website been a long time lurker , But I have a real problem on my hands I bought 6 shirts recently went for slim fit but the sleeves are too long if I put my hands down it covers my hand and that isn't cool , can I go and get it tailored ? or wash it will it then shrink the sleeves , I have to pull my sleeves up ever so often and it creases the shirt , help will be appreciated

Syed

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Choices:

Take them back if you have not worn them
    Have them altered by some local person who offers the service. (Only choice if you have worn them)

Little need to seek advice.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Wrong post, apologies

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Do that^^^

5. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

I've have some shirts that are 20" neck 36" sleeve from Brooks Brothers (I was 19.5" neck, now I'm 18.5" neck with 35" sleeve and I've lost some weight) maybe I should go shop for clothes more often in the future.

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Is this with your cuffs buttoned or unbuttoned? And how far do they fall below your wrist?

If your cuffs are unbuttoned and your arms are at your sides, your sleeves should fall about 3 inches past your wrist, imo. You need this length so that when you bend your arms your sleeves won't ride up too high.

If your cuffs are buttoned and they fall below your wrist, you can move the button in so the cuff is snug around your wrist and it won't slip down to cover your hand.

Either way, if the sleeves fall more than 3 or so inches past your wrist, you might want to return them or have them altered. If you decide to alter them, you might try washing and drying the shirt first. A half inch shrinkages is pretty normal, but sleeves can shrink as much as an inch.