• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought my first Marinella!!

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
After hearing manton harp on forever about the quality of Marinella ties, I decided to drag ****** over to BG's this weekend - only to browse of course.

Naturally, my little window shopping experiment mutated into a buying spree as I plunked down $310 on 2 beautiful Marinella ties - one in a gorgeous red and the other in a very dark navy. The quality is impeccable, and the styling is very 'aristo' - I love them.

That brings my total tie count to over 80 - and that's after giving away 20+ Brooks Brothers ties to my friends last week. Time to make an appointment with Imelda Marcos' shrink...

Panzer

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have any wovens to chose from? I find most of their prints a bit staid and boring, but their wovens are second to none. And if they offer the bespoke service there, try it. Contrary to some, bespoke offers you the choice of linings, length, etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The selection for bespoke is (as one would expect) infinitely better than RTW.  And there are a great many wovens.  For some reason, the vast majority of Bergdorf's selection is always prints, sometimes exclusively so.

They do bespoke out of Bergdorf once (maybe twice) a year.  The price is staggeringly high: $250.  If you ever get to Europe, you can save almost half that by ordering in Naples, a third by ordering in Milan.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
The selection for bespoke is (as one would expect) infinitely better than RTW.  And there are a great many wovens.  For some reason, the vast majority of Bergdorf's selection is always prints, sometimes exclusively so.

They do bespoke out of Bergdorf once (maybe twice) a year.  The price is staggeringly high: $250.  If you ever get to Europe, you can save almost half that by ordering in Naples, a third by ordering in Milan.
Interesting - have you tried their bespoke tie service? I have always been intrigued by bespoke ties - seems somewhat exaggerated as there are only a very limited number of elements that one can customize in a tie.

Am I incorrect on this?

Panzer

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
have you tried their bespoke tie service?
No; too much money.  Next time I am in Naples or Milan, maybe.  Plus, I have been generally quite satisfied with RTW ties.

I have always been intrigued by bespoke ties - seems somewhat exaggerated as there are only a very limited number of elements that one can customize in a tie.

Am I incorrect on this?

1) Shell material: anything you want (that they have in their swatch books).  Printed and woven silks, plus linens, woolens, cashmeres, and blends.

2) You choose length, width and dimensions (i.e., if you like a "bottle" shape, which has a lot of fullness under the knot, or the more traditional "angular" shape).

3) You choose the thickness and softness of the lining

Basically, you can end up with a tie that ties the exact size and shape knot you want, at the perfect length for you every time, and whose front blade is the precise shape and width you want.  And that also "feels" either as thick and heavy or thin and wispy as you prefer.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
That's very interesting - I have always been very particular about width so this service may be helpful. Doesn't justify the $250 price tag, but the $90-$125 cost in Italy is certainly palatable.

Thanks,

Panzer

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I am very very pissed - I landed on monday afternoon in Milan, and due to easter monday (thanks a lot guys) the store was closed. First thing tuesday morning in a meeting that lasted until half an hour before my 9:30 pm train to Vienna. After I had braced myself for the expence of a couple of bespoke ties, missed my chance for this quarter. I may be back in a few months, we'll see.

I already told my distributor in Budapest that I will only meet him after my appointment at Vass on Friday...

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Marinella have a shop in Rome?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Does Marinella have a shop in Rome?
No. But Rubinacci does, and they make fine bespoke ties.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ Mar. 30 2005,16:53) Does Marinella have a shop in Rome?
No. Â But Rubinacci does, and they make fine bespoke ties.
Ok great, another addition to my shopping list
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads