• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought my first GOOD suit...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Most of my suits are pretty crappy....hugo boss, Z Zegna, pretty much whatever i found in my size at saks on sale. So I stepped up my game and bought a charcoal Isaia suit...A thousand times better than what ive been wearing. Like going from Johnston & Murphy to Lobbs. Fit is great, but the problem is in the pants. Im a 32 waist, which is what these are tagged, but holy god i cant get em buttoned. Of all the pants Ive had tailored, ive never had to have the waist let out. My question is how difficult of a task is this? Id assume letting hte waist out should be a really simple task. I use 2 different tailors....one down the street from my office is good. pretty cheap, but good. And the other is a little farther away, but quite expensive. Twice as much. I dont mind paying if its necessary....if letting out the waist an inch or 2 is a tough job, Ill take it to him, but if not ill save the money and drivve time and go to the one close to me.....

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Letting the waist out is an easy procedure. Any tailor can do it.

Mike

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basic job it there is enough material available.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
..if letting out the waist an inch or 2 is a tough job...

Are you sure the fabric is there to let the waist out that much? You may be looking at returning this suit. Look for the word 'Drop' on the label in the inside pocket of the jacket and let us know what it says.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
good news...thanks for the quick replies. If there isnt enough fabric, Im going on a cocaine/water diet for a couple months....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
its a drop 6.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Are you sure the fabric is there to let the waist out that much? You may be looking at returning this suit. Look for the word 'Drop' on the label in the inside pocket of the jacket and let us know what it says.

I've always wondered what this meant. Can someone explain? Is Drop directly related to how much fabric is available to let out?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the back of the pants, below the waist you can see the seam as it goes up the seat. It is trianglular shaped. Measure it and it will tell you how much there is to let out. Most new suits that are RTW have at least 2-3 inches extra to be adjusted.

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I've always wondered what this meant. Can someone explain? Is Drop directly related to how much fabric is available to let out?

Now, it is how much difference there is between the chest and waist.

Mike

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drop is the difference between the stated chest and the stated waist (e.g., a 38R with a drop 6 has a stated waist of 32). I say stated because the actual chest of a 38R will not be 38", nor will the actual waist be 32", in most cases.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

drop is the size difference of chest size to waist size. ie...38 jacked...drop 6 would mean a 32 wast pant.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
good news...thanks for the quick replies. If there isnt enough fabric, Im going on a cocaine/water diet for a couple months....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ok gnarles that will do a body good. btw ive had many pants taken in and out by many tailors of diff levels all came out fine. easy job

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score

Are you serious? Drop is the number minus the chest size. If it's a 36R with a drop 6 the pants are 30 waist.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
At the back of the pants, below the waist you can see the seam as it goes up the seat. It is trianglular shaped. Measure it and it will tell you how much there is to let out. Most new suits that are RTW have at least 2-3 inches extra to be adjusted.

Mike

the seat should be fine...just the damn waist is so tight. Its probably a true 32" but the 32 trousers i wear probably run more like 33 or 34 despite the "32" sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads