1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bought my first GOOD suit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DerekS, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Most of my suits are pretty crappy....hugo boss, Z Zegna, pretty much whatever i found in my size at saks on sale. So I stepped up my game and bought a charcoal Isaia suit...A thousand times better than what ive been wearing. Like going from Johnston & Murphy to Lobbs. Fit is great, but the problem is in the pants. Im a 32 waist, which is what these are tagged, but holy god i cant get em buttoned. Of all the pants Ive had tailored, ive never had to have the waist let out. My question is how difficult of a task is this? Id assume letting hte waist out should be a really simple task. I use 2 different tailors....one down the street from my office is good. pretty cheap, but good. And the other is a little farther away, but quite expensive. Twice as much. I dont mind paying if its necessary....if letting out the waist an inch or 2 is a tough job, Ill take it to him, but if not ill save the money and drivve time and go to the one close to me.....

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Letting the waist out is an easy procedure. Any tailor can do it.

Mike

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

basic job it there is enough material available.

4. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

..if letting out the waist an inch or 2 is a tough job...

Are you sure the fabric is there to let the waist out that much? You may be looking at returning this suit. Look for the word 'Drop' on the label in the inside pocket of the jacket and let us know what it says.

5. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

good news...thanks for the quick replies. If there isnt enough fabric, Im going on a cocaine/water diet for a couple months....[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

7. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    ^ Whatever it takes. You'll go far in life.

8. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Are you sure the fabric is there to let the waist out that much? You may be looking at returning this suit. Look for the word 'Drop' on the label in the inside pocket of the jacket and let us know what it says.

I've always wondered what this meant. Can someone explain? Is Drop directly related to how much fabric is available to let out?

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

At the back of the pants, below the waist you can see the seam as it goes up the seat. It is trianglular shaped. Measure it and it will tell you how much there is to let out. Most new suits that are RTW have at least 2-3 inches extra to be adjusted.

Mike

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I've always wondered what this meant. Can someone explain? Is Drop directly related to how much fabric is available to let out?

Now, it is how much difference there is between the chest and waist.

Mike

11. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Drop is the difference between the stated chest and the stated waist (e.g., a 38R with a drop 6 has a stated waist of 32). I say stated because the actual chest of a 38R will not be 38", nor will the actual waist be 32", in most cases.

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

drop is the size difference of chest size to waist size. ie...38 jacked...drop 6 would mean a 32 wast pant.

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

good news...thanks for the quick replies. If there isnt enough fabric, Im going on a cocaine/water diet for a couple months....[​IMG] [​IMG]

ok gnarles that will do a body good. btw ive had many pants taken in and out by many tailors of diff levels all came out fine. easy job

14. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

Are you serious? Drop is the number minus the chest size. If it's a 36R with a drop 6 the pants are 30 waist.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

At the back of the pants, below the waist you can see the seam as it goes up the seat. It is trianglular shaped. Measure it and it will tell you how much there is to let out. Most new suits that are RTW have at least 2-3 inches extra to be adjusted.

Mike

the seat should be fine...just the damn waist is so tight. Its probably a true 32" but the 32 trousers i wear probably run more like 33 or 34 despite the "32" sizing.

16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ok gnarles that will do a body good.

hahahahaha.

17. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

I believe it is the difference between the chest size and the waist size. So a 38R suit with a 6 drop gives you a 32in waist. Four or five people answered between the time I started to type, let the dog out, grabbed some coffee, let dog back in. [​IMG])

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

hahahahaha.

i think we would get along swell irl. just sayin

19. Boss1982

Boss1982 Well-Known Member

The saks Isaia suits in the outlet have a drop 8. it's a pain to try to fit into the pants. I am chest 38 but 30 won't go up or tighten!
    it's the base S model of Isaia suit, maybe made only for outlet?

20. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

So what, pray tell, is the drop again? I think I missed the point amongst the 38 identical explanations given in this thread [​IMG]