• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought my first classic car... what about the rims though?

Keep the rims?

• No way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep them, they fit the car

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought my first classic car, a 1982 Porsche 928. Its a great example, very well maintained and belonged to a Porsche club owner, etc. Going to get some historic tags for it.

Those pics were from the owner, so I'd like some opinions on the rims. I am not usually a 'rims changer' type of guy, and I have the originals, which I dont like either. My question is, should I go back to silver or stay black? The black ones are Porsche rims.

Oddly enough these are growing on me but I need a reality check... would you keep them on? See poal.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
they're not original if they're black.. and those aren't even the originals for the car if it's an '82, the wheels back then looked like manhole covers or the phone dial things. Ditch the black ones, get them painted the proper silver, or get a set of silver wheels that look period (like BBS RS1)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

they're not original if they're black.. and those aren't even the originals for the car if it's an '82, the wheels back then looked like manhole covers or the phone dial things. Ditch the black ones, get them painted the proper silver, or get a set of silver wheels that look period (like BBS RS1)
I agree, completely. Really nice car, but those wheels have got to go.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Correct, those rims are definitely not stock, but the stock rims are total **** ugly.... see here:

Those black ones are Porsche rims, but they are much more recent, definitely not period. I'm sure I can find something interesting, but what about having those chromed to silver?

I agree, completely. Really nice car, but those wheels have got to go.

Thanks, I've searched for one for quite some time now, so I'm excited to finally get one. Need to do some minor work, but that is part of the fun.

Last edited:

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those cup rims aren't period correct, but suit the car. I think they came on later 944's and 911's (don't quote me on that). However, I would get silver versions as mentioned or get some BBS RS's.

I've always like the styling of the 928. A friend of mine had an early 90's one back in the day and it was awesome.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For wheels that look right on a Porsche I like Fikse.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats ,awesome car. Was this the only V8 Porsche ever made? As for wheels I always prefered these:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those cup rims aren't period correct, but suit the car. I think they came on later 944's and 911's (don't quote me on that). However, I would get silver versions as mentioned or get some BBS RS's.
I've always like the styling of the 928. A friend of mine had an early 90's one back in the day and it was awesome.

Those black rims are actually from a 92-94 928, but they were powder coated black. I suppose I can have them stripped. I like the shape, just not sure about the color...

Congrats ,awesome car. Was this the only V8 Porsche ever made? As for wheels I always prefered these:

Thanks man... until the Cayenne and Panemara, yes, it was the only V8.

Problem is that those wheels dont come in the size I want. I do in fact like them. One thing that lets the bone stock car down is the back wheels are too narrow and dont fill the wheel well out properly. You need a bigger rim, and I also want a lower profile tire. I'd have to do some research to be sure, but I definitely want something by Porsche.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the black wheels are ok. Paint them silver if you really want to i guess, but all other wheels photographed here are pretty fugly.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the black wheels are ok. Paint them silver if you really want to i guess, but all other wheels photographed here are pretty fugly.

+1. Take a pledge not to buy new wheels for the next 4 months and then revisit.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange, its literally 50/50 split on those wheels to the folks I showed the pics to today.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
the stock 'phone dials' aren't bad, but they are small
the 'manhole covers' are great, they are forged and very strong
your car looks like an S and probably came with the manhole covers

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the stock 'phone dials' aren't bad, but they are small
the 'manhole covers' are great, they are forged and very strong
your car looks like an S and probably came with the manhole covers

It is an S. Post #5 shows the original wheels, but I dont like them at all. Also, I want the width of the tire, especially at the back. The car doesnt look good when the wheel well is not filled and the original rear tire is about 2 - 3 cm too narrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads