• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought first pair of RM Williams boots today - delighted!!

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful info for anyone, but the last dress boots I bought were Cheaney (Jackie) size 8 and fit fine. But suprisingly the 8s in RMW boots were too roomy, so I tried on 7.5 and they were spot on. I bought the Macquarie, which was the other thing that suprised me; the best fit for me seem to be the narrow ones. I'm glad I didnt go mail order.

Busy store in Bond Street today..., the 3 people in front of me were all buying Craftsman in Chestnut.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
also something I thought was weird.., when it came to pay, the girl who assisted me said that if I see Helen at the till she'd sort me out with an oilskin. I thought I was going to get a couple of polishing cloths but she pulled out a 'Mick Dundee' vest from the rack and asked me if I was taking one. There was a second or two of confusion and then it was explained that oilskins were free with boots.

Seemed to me like it was a bit extravagant of them to do this.., would have preferred socks, or polishing cloths instead.

I might start wearing it and see how I get on.

LOL.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats. I like the Macuarie model. I think the toe shape look better than the Craftsman. Maybe you'll post a photo?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been looking more at the "narrow toe" shape lately. Looks better to me, like an EG 82 or a CJ 341. not sure how it would look on the foot.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
Not sure if this is helpful info for anyone, but the last dress boots I bought were Cheaney (Jackie) size 8 and fit fine. But suprisingly the 8s in RMW boots were too roomy, so I tried on 7.5 and they were spot on. I bought the Macquarie, which was the other thing that suprised me; the best fit for me seem to be the narrow ones. I'm glad I didnt go mail order.

Busy store in Bond Street today..., the 3 people in front of me were all buying Craftsman in Chestnut.

Are the boots on sale? I was in Bond Street a couple of days ago and no boots were discounted.
I think I really want the Macquarie on a comfort sole, that would have to be a custom order though.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to own any Clarks or Converse would you?

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Yeah I have been looking more at the "narrow toe" shape lately. Looks better to me, like an EG 82 or a CJ 341. not sure how it would look on the foot.

Yes, I was taken with them as soon as I put them on. I think the narrow toe looks a bit more modern.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean me I used to have a pair of clarks chelsea boots - I had to go down half a size from 9uk to 8.5uk for those. I wear a UK 9 in Converse but they are maybe a touch large, I could probably squeeze into a UK 8.5 in cons. I wear standard UK 9 in loake, C&J and Grenon, the RM Williams I tried on were best in 8.5 for me.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting.

Care to take length x width measurements of your RM Williams? Sorry to ask for so much but Ive been saving up and I think I either have a weird foot or just always wear my shoes roomy so I don't want to end up with anything too snug.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Hmm interesting.

Care to take length x width measurements of your RM Williams? Sorry to ask for so much but Ive been saving up and I think I either have a weird foot or just always wear my shoes roomy so I don't want to end up with anything too snug.

I'm heading out now, will measure tomorrow - I have a stockman boot in 9 which is I think on the craftsman chisel toe last, and they are a little big on me. My left foot is nearer an 8.5 than a 9, so with elasticated bots I often need to size down a half size.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the help.

EDIT: You wouldn't also happen to know the width size of your boots do you?

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
also something I thought was weird.., when it came to pay, the girl who assisted me said that if I see Helen at the till she'd sort me out with an oilskin. I thought I was going to get a couple of polishing cloths but she pulled out a 'Mick Dundee' vest from the rack and asked me if I was taking one. There was a second or two of confusion and then it was explained that oilskins were free with boots.

Seemed to me like it was a bit extravagant of them to do this.., would have preferred socks, or polishing cloths instead.

I might start wearing it and see how I get on.

LOL.

I presume you didn't see the offer in the window??? There was a similar offer in Australia last year, and a lot of the giveaways appeared on eBay.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Thank you for all the help.

EDIT: You wouldn't also happen to know the width size of your boots do you?

My stockmans are a 9G and measure 12" long and 4" at the widest part of the sole. I don't think these measurements are much good for fitting though - I have shoes which measure longer and wider than this and fit a lot more snugly.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When ordering boots, I'd order the larger of the two sizes you are considering. You can always wear boot socks or add insoles if they turn out to be too loose. The RMW thread is full of people who rec'd boots that were too short. I don't know what exactly was happening, but at least one of the common conversion methods choose something that is too short for some people.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
Are the boots on sale? I was in Bond Street a couple of days ago and no boots were discounted.
I think I really want the Macquarie on a comfort sole, that would have to be a custom order though.

Not everything has to be on sale in order to buy.

lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads