1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bought a RLPL orphaned suit jacket today

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Jun 29, 2005.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I went to Saks today and bought a clearly orphaned Purple Label suit jacket. It is double-breasted, dark fabric with white pinstripe, and ticket pocket.

In my opinion, the options are:

1. Wear with contrasting pants - like white or linen. Would make a nice summery look?

2. Try to get Ralph Lauren to make me some pants, assuming they still have the fabric in stock, but risk having it come off of a different bolt and therefore look slightly different.

It would be way too formal to wear with odd pants were it not for the ticket pocket, I think. But, with white pants it might be nice. I'm going to go to Ralph Lauren tomorrow to see the fabric situation.

Thoughts?

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Option 3: If you can't get pants made from the same bolt (or, even if you could), return it for a refund. Unless you shoplifted it of course. I imagine that even on sale this cost several hundred dollars. If you got custom made pants, you'd run the cost of the suit into at least the $900 - $1000 territory, I'd think. Is it really worth it for something that you might not be able to wear with anything?

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Jacket was $129... Â [​IMG] Edit: plus buttons, etc. a little over $200

4. dorian

dorian Senior member

White high supers or white silk RLPL trousers... [​IMG]

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

[​IMG] Option 4 then: Sell it on Ebay for $500? (kidding). They should have the fabric still. I'd take it to a top flight NYC tailor, to be frank. I bet they could identify the fabric almost by site and would have access to it.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Update: they do have the fabric and can make me pants for $795. (.)

I think I will wear it as a sport jacket...

7. dorian

dorian Senior member

White RLPL trousers will make the difference if you wear it as a sportjacket. I think there may be some on eBay right now...

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

light gray trousers?

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member

Bone color.