Bought a Patek 5196P

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 30, 2006.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Hi all,
    Just sharing the excitement! I've ordered a Patek 5196 in platinum from an authorized dealer. I'm really excited! I think it's one of the most elegant, classic watches I've ever seen. The colors, the design - I just think it's really spectacular. It's pretty rare and hard to come by - so I should have it in 6 to 8 weeks. Will post pics when it arrives.
    Z

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Nice! Looking forward to the pics. Were you considering it a long time or was it an impulse buy? ;p

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I thought about it quite a bit, but I must admit it was a bit of an impulse. I was actually leaning for a while toward a perpetual calendar or something a lot more complicated. But, believe it or not, I'm actually much happier with the top of the line Calatrava than I would be with a mid-range complication. For one thing, I want a dress watch rather than something thick and bulky. The 5196 is manual wound and is super thin. For another thing, it works also for my psychologically - it's hard to explain, but I'm not one for compromise, and I like the idea of having the best dress watch Patek makes; I would have some discomfort with a complicated watch that didn't have a tourbillon and a minute repeater and other absurdly expensive complications, because anything less is just a compromise for the sake of money. I don't know - it's hard to explain. But for what it is, the 5196 is as good as it gets. Of course, all this reasoning is beyond my thinking that it's absolutely beautiful.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

This is the model.

[​IMG]

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

That is a gorgeous watch. Truly elegant. I share your fondness for simplicity, and I think you made an excellent choice.

One day I'd like to own a Patek. But all these clothes keep needing to be bought...

6. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

I was also shopping for a new watch recently. I understand what you are saying about compromise. I found the PPs to be a bit small for my taste - since Iv'e gotten used to wearing a 40mm watch. I am probably leaning towards a JLC at the moment.

If you dont mind my asking what sort of discount did you get? I hear 20% is about standard. Is that true?

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Unfortunately, this is apparently a "rare" and hard to find model and pretty much sells for MSRP from an authorized dealer. I shopped around quite a bit.

8. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

zjp, this is an absolute beauty.

I think you made the right choice. I muchly prefer Patek's dress watches to their complications. The most aesthetic complications I've seen are those made by Ulysse Nardin and Vacheron Constantin.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I was also shopping for a new watch recently. I understand what you are saying about compromise. I found the PPs to be a bit small for my taste - since Iv'e gotten used to wearing a 40mm watch. I am probably leaning towards a JLC at the moment.

If you dont mind my asking what sort of discount did you get? I hear 20% is about standard. Is that true?

40mm is absolutely huge for a dress watch or any watch not used for intensive purposes for that matter.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

20% off on a brand new, popular model PP would be quite a feat.

11. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

40mm is absolutely huge for a dress watch or any watch not used for intensive purposes for that matter.

Well this is the watch I wear:
    http://www.watchbuys.com/Master/NI-023.htm

I think it looks reasoanbly dressy. I am 6'0 185 - and I dont think it looks too big. I actually think that these days 40mm is average theese days.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Z, that is a gorgeous watch. Quite frankly, many of the watches that people ooh and aah over here leave me scratching my head. You've bought a classic piece. Congratulations!

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

you never, ever, go wrong with a patek...

is this model an automatic?

14. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Wow. Whatever you paid for that beauty, it was worth it.

15. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

is this model an automatic?

It sure ain't a quartz, that's for sure.

z, as usual your taste is impeccable.