• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought a few things today

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) Semi-thick merino wool zip up mock neck cardigan by Gran Sasso. Dark grey. Body is plain knit, and arms and side panels are ribbed. Pretty cool, well above average fabric, and fits perfectly. $150 at Stonestreets.

(2) J. Press over the calf socks. Wool isn't nearly as good as my Saks or Pantherella socks, but is actually thicker so it'll do nicely. Good length. $14

(3) E. Zegna suit from Neiman Marcus. Medium grey with very faint windowpane pattern (sort of like a cream and light blue pane). Double vents. High two-button. Trousers have slash pockets, as opposed to the off-seam piped pockets that I normally see on Zegnas (which I absolutely hate). This was one of the few Zegnas I've tried on that I actually like. The shoulders are medium sloped, and have almost no padding. Slight roping at the sleeve head, but nothing like the Saks Zegnas which are so boxy fitting.

Price was $880, plus 50% for Last Call pre-sale. So I got it for $440. It retailed for $2250. Not sure why it was so cheap. It is a great fabric. Didn't have the 15 milmil 15 tag in it, so I don't know what kind of fabric it is, but it is buttery soft.

MY ALMOST BUYS

(1) Red label Hugo Boss shirt. Black with narrow grey stripes. Beautiful fabric. Could've had it on sale for $100. I don't have a black shirt of any kind, and thought this would be good for going out, either with jeans or charcoal trousers. What's the story on the red label? And, is having some sort of black shirt a necessity?

(2) Polo custom fit, 91% cotton 9% cashmere plaid shirt. It was so soft, and would be so warm for winter. But in the back of my mind I asked myself, "What would LA Guy think?" So I put it down.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the story on the red label?

A more sportier, fashion forward line.

And, is having some sort of black shirt a necessity?

I think so but I suspect a number would disagree.

Nice buys.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JN3: No Coat? Awww... What a shame...
wink.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No coat. If I don't go Ebay, I'll end up going with a nice FIHTies overcoat.

Objectively, I probably needed another suit only slightly more than I need an overcoat (I really am trying to get my suit rotation in order for my job starting in August, and want to take advantage of sale prices -- I wasn't planning on buying the Zegna, but that price was crazy. I figured if I didn't want it, someone here would). But like I said, I have some mental block about spending a lot on outerwear.

I did see some nice overcoats at Neimans though for a song after the markdown. Nothing in my size though.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a few things as well today... Borrelli windowpane dress shirt ($100 from Saks' Act 3) and a dressy casual RLPL windowpane ($94 at LC). Saw a couple of absolutely gorgeous Zegna Napoli Couture sportcoats at the Tysons store but even with the 50 off they were $800- probably a good price but I had the fiancee with me so no way in hell was one of those coming home with me
biggrin.gif

Sevcom

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Paper Denim Slim Tates off eBay (finally), so hopefully I'll get that soon. However, I was really tempted to buy either a khaki shawl-lapelled belted coat from John Malkovich (?.?) or a fitted light grey wool sport coat at Steven Alan.

I'm still looking for a good and inexpensive overcoat as well; I'm thinking either a charcoal grey or a midnight blue knee-length Chesterfield or a khaki polo coat, only more fitted than the traditional models. Wearing a Banana Republic 3/4 coat over a suit doesn't hack it anymore. Unfortunately, FIH, being a student precludes me from picking up some of your fine coat selection ... though some of your clearance ties look tempting.

petescolari

Reaction score
How was the suit selection at Neiman Marcus? That is a great price you bought the Zegna at. I assume you bought it at Copley, right?

Did you notice any other nice suits in a 42l by chance?

One of the sales guys there in the suit department is really helpful (David for what it's worth), but for the most part, the rest don't seem to move and help you even, especially the older lady, Louise I think. Could just be that they don't think a young guy would want to spend money on a nice suit.

Sounds like you had a nice fruitful weekend in Cambridge and Boston.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copley, yes. Not sure if the price was mismarked -- perhaps the $880 was supposed to be its Last Call price. But it came from another store too, so perhaps it was marked correctly (it wasn't there last week). Didn't notice anything specifically in 42L, but I can say that there were substantially more sportcoats than suits. Mainly Zegna. And the sportcoats were still over $600 mainly, even after the sale price. All in all, the sale sort of sucked. Some nice overcoats though for pretty good price (300 or thereabouts). Ties of course are good. Dress shirt selection sucked, and knitwear is getting destroyed by putting them on cheap plastic hangers.

petescolari

Reaction score
Thanks. I will try to pop in there tomorrow or Tuesday and see what they have. Maybe I will email David and see if he can take a look.

If nothing is available, I will most likely just sit tight and wait till the Louis, Richards, et al are put on the floor at Filene's Basement. Should be a week or two I would think.

Do you ever have good luck at the other Filene's Basements for suits? The only one I think that has a half decent selection is the one in Newton Highlands store.

I thought you gave up on Stonestreets?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But I knew they had the exact sweater I was looking for, and I actually went in on a day when I knew the regular employees wouldn't be there. I think I dealt with the manager -- nice guy, actually. I bargained him down from 180 to 150.

Newton does have a good selection, but there are some great things at Downtown as well. Probably not as many high end things consistently, but that's because they go quicker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads