• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bought 450 dollar jeans and got them hemmed (too short)

thekenneth

Reaction score
I wont bother saying the brand name to avoid people saying "they were ruined before you bought them" (im a long term lurker Ive seen this before loads)

I got them hemmed as they were a bit too long. and when I got them back they were too short. after taking the hem out they are a normal length but now they will fray. is there much I can do, could I do an extremly short hem of a milimetere.

or is this one of those, better luck next time situations.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just stretch the denim by hand. If its 1 inch or so you'll be fine.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you're a long term lurker considering that a) many people here spend 450 dollars and more in pants/jeans so that shouldn't really come as a surprise, and b) there's a thread for small questions like this one and another one for jeans only. :)

Anyway, other than trying to stretch them, some jeans/pants which are popular around here have raw/unfinished hems, this is for example a pair of Zam Barret DNA jeans:

But as you can see, they still have a reinforcement to prevent fraying from ruining your jeans, you could ask a tailor to do the same on your jeans. IMHO raw hems look good over boots.

PS: I hope the jeans are not Dior, as the main thing about them is "the stacks".
PS2: I also hope they are not raw and (especially) sanforized. If so, don't wash them. Ever!

Last edited:

thekenneth

Reaction score
i wasnt bragging about the price, just when name brands are mentioned people can be dicks.
the only reason I mentioned the price is that I don't want to just toss them and get new ones under 200 I'd maybe suck it up a bit easier.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wasnt bragging about the price, just when name brands are mentioned people can be dicks.
the only reason I mentioned the price is that I don't want to just toss them and get new ones under 200 I'd maybe suck it up a bit easier.

Sorry, misunderstood that!

Well you can also try to put them up for sale and see if the loss is acceptable.

thekenneth

Reaction score
the hem is a double hem could I get away with hemming it maybe half a cm?

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me guess the brand... Dsquared2? :)

Those are by far the most popular jeans in that price range in my country... I think it's because football (soccer for you US guys) players, I don't know if they are cut more generously around the thigh area than other designer's jeans, but pretty much every football star here has a pair.

Example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...onal-title--did-Spain-squad-dressed-dark.html

Four football players wearing jeans, all of them with Dsquared2. Cristiano Ronaldo always wears D2 jeans, too.

This also shows how terrible their style is in general.

Last edited:

thekenneth

Reaction score
Let me guess the brand... Dsquared2? :)

Those are by far the most popular jeans in that price range in my country... I think it's because football (soccer for you US guys) players, I don't know if they are cut more generously around the thigh area than other designer's jeans, but pretty much every football star here has a pair.

Example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...onal-title--did-Spain-squad-dressed-dark.html

Four football players wearing jeans, all of them with Dsquared2. Cristiano Ronaldo always wears D2 jeans, too.

This also shows how terrible their style is in general.

it's soccer here too but I'm french-canadian. they are 7 of mankind jeans. after taking out the hem thejeans are 2 inches longer now.
maybe shortening the hem would work, but a faux pas perhaps too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics