• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought 2 pair (of my first) Levi 501s, should I get them hemmed?

TheFedora

Reaction score
And if so how much?

These are my first 2 pair of Levi 501s and now that I got used to button flys I'm liking them and I'm really liking how much form fitting/tighter they are compared to my baggy jeans that I bought for some reason.

I'm a shorter guy so please tell me if you think I should hem these and if so by how much? They're 30 in length and I was thinking getting them, if I did, hemmed to 28.5.. but it costs $10 per jean to get them hemmed so I'd rather not. I USED to get all my jeans always hemmed because, again, I got them baggy and I'd trip on them. I have no real experience with jeans so give me advice on how they're supposed to be!

Standing up

J1.jpg

J2.jpg

J4.jpg

Sitting down

J5.jpg

J6.jpg

TheFedora

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=55144

But I'll give my $0.02 anyway.

These don't look form-fitting/tight at all, they are quite baggy in my opinion. Also they are too long, hem them. Oh and why do you have two pairs, either way that doesn't warrant two posts
wink.gif

Yeah.. I guess I mean in the top/thigh portion they're more form fitting. Hard to explain what I mean. I'm just sick of baggy.

Not that posts have any value or cost anything.. but it wasn't my fault it posted it twice..

So definitely hem? any ideas on how much to cut off?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't hem them. Spend the money on a new pair of shoes instead.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can buy them in different lengths. i find the length shrink more than the waist. get them 3 - 4 inches longer than you need. waist can match yours.....

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
If you plan on wearing them for a while, I'd get them hemmed. Jeans that have that wide an opening look sloppy if they just pile up on your shoes because they're too long. Have you considered cuffing them? It'd save you $20, and 501s look okay cuffed. And also, be prepared for a lot of comments like this:
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Don't hem them. Spend the money on a new pair of shoes instead.
It doesn't matter that you were asking about jeans. Some people give you **** if they don't like your clothes. Kind of like middle school.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
These are the preshrunk, not STF, right? Can I ask the obvious? Did you try them on in the store?

Preshrunk means you should buy them so they fit exactly the way you want them to fit. I personally think preshrunk looks terrble with any kind of stacking or cuffing, so you should buy your true inseam and a waist size that's comfortable and not too tight but not too relaxed.

All in all, it would be a lot easier to buy a precise fit in these than go through the trouble of hemming.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
These are the preshrunk, not STF, right? Can I ask the obvious? Did you try them on in the store?

Preshrunk means you should buy them so they fit exactly the way you want them to fit. I personally think preshrunk looks terrble with any kind of stacking or cuffing, so you should buy your true inseam and a waist size that's comfortable and not too tight but not too relaxed.

All in all, it would be a lot easier to buy a precise fit in these than go through the trouble of hemming.

They might not make 28" inseams.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Really? Yeah, I guess that is a little on the short side. If that's the case, I'd want them hemmed.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Yeah.. I guess I mean in the top/thigh portion they're more form fitting. Hard to explain what I mean. I'm just sick of baggy.

Not that posts have any value or cost anything.. but it wasn't my fault it posted it twice..

So definitely hem? any ideas on how much to cut off?

did you get the proper size when you tried them on? the form factor when it gets to the leg opening looks 2 or 3 sizes too big

Tiberias

Reaction score
Hemmed? I used to buy my jeans in the longest length available in my waist size then just self-cuff the bottoms. Very old-fashioned look, I'll agree it's not for everyone, but an interesting vintage-y look with chunky shoes and a casual shirt.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, get rid of the shoes ASAP. Second, the color and fit of those jeans isn't so good - replace with something that has a better cut.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget hemming. Cuff if it really bothers you. Use the money to buy new shoes. Get something plain and simple. Personally, I like Vans Authentics or Converse All-Stars. It all depends on your preference, but it will make you jeans look much better.

... and yes, you might want to consider a different wash on your next pair.

TheFedora

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert

yeah preshrunk.. yeah I tried them on in the store but these are the shortest inseam they had (even if they had 29 it would be too long for me)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads