1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

boucle fabric

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StagRaven, Mar 15, 2005.

1. StagRaven

StagRaven Well-Known Member

Looking online for suiting fabrics, one that kept coming up was boucle. What exactly is this? Doing a google search, it doesn't seem menswear has been made from the stuff in the past 30-40 years. From what the internet could show me, it seems to be a very textured fabric. Would it be suitable for something like a casual-cut sportcoat? These are the things I wonder during philosophy study breaks [​IMG]

2. StagRaven

First and last BUMP.

Just in case anyone wasn't here early in the week who can answer.

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Boucle is a more common fabric for women's tailored garments, I believe. Think St. John or Chanel suits worn by DC power matrons. It is a fairly heavy, textured fabric.

I'll let the others weigh in as well (and correct me if I am wrong).

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Boucle would look a bit odd IMO. Might work as a sportcoat, I suppose. But you are much better off getting your texture from a nailhead flannel, serge weave flannel, or tweed. I've always suspected that boucle was (1) a bit feminine, and (2) a bit delicate (in terms of durability).

5. StagRaven

Both,

Thanks for weighing in. You have confirmed my suspicions, but never having seen this fabric in real life, I just figured I'd ask someone who had.

6. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

Back in my vintage period (the early '80s) I had a couple of sportcoats that were boucle--one burgundy, one a surprisingly electric blue (from the Irving Berlin shop in Palm Beach, as I remember). I think a boucle sportcoat in a heathery gray would be a very nice piece for "casual but smart" wear. (Perhaps it's a situation where the more novel the fabric, the more conventional the color should be.) Just a thought.

Etruscan