• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bottoms Up

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
My whole point is at least the Soul Train Awards gave some airtime to artists that rarely get mainstream play. So, are these REAL artists jealous of Nicki Minaj's fan count. Probably not since they have their own loyal following. I like what Janelle Monae said last night, we are not a monolithic group of people who only party, drink, or whatever. But back to the original point...Minaj is garbage. Just my opinion. I do know folks like her though.

Who?? This is the thing with you young kids who think anything indie is good and trying to make money is bad. You think these bands and artist like going from gig to gig in a van? You think they like not having money to support their drug habits?? GD unwashed hippies.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Word. 187, we should invite COnne to go clubbing during Easter. Waddya say?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Who?? This is the thing with you young kids who think anything indie is good and trying to make money is bad. You think these bands and artist like going from gig to gig in a van? You think they like not having money to support their drug habits?? GD unwashed hippies.

janelle monae has an unreeaaaal voice, believe that.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
janelle monae has an unreeaaaal voice, believe that.

She can't be that good because I've never heard of her....and I've heard of Jil Scott.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
And she will probably wish she had the longevity. Fact is, these artists are here today and gone next year. However, I think real artists develop a following long past the expiration date of hot albums. Seriously, aside from Jay Z or Eminem- most artists nowadays fizzle after 3-4 albums. And they would be lucky to make it that far. Something tells me Nicki Minaj won't. However, groups like Frankie Beverly & Maze will still be doing shows to devoted fans who enjoy real musicians who write music and play instruments. Just saying.

The sad thing for groups like these is that they will always be more popular overseas than they are here. They can and do go to places like Japan and sell out big venues but here they are lucky if they can get 100 people to see them at BB King's. One of the saddest things I ever read was an interview with Styles P or one of those dudes where they played the original songs that his records had sampled and asked him if he knew any of the titles/artists. He did not know one nor cared to know one, and they were all old school R&B. I mean ****, this is your heritage as a black artist, the people that paved the way (and that you are making money off) and you don't even know who they are
confused.gif

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
She can't be that good because I've never heard of her....and I've heard of Jil Scott.

here she is. her voice is unreal. her style of music may not be for everyone, but its undeniable that she has a beautiful singing voice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is on the radio a lot when I'm in the car, but I thought it was bottles up.

What is the new song similar to this one but it has sirens that say Brrrre eee eeerr Berrrr eeer in the background?

76classic

Reaction score
At 34 years old, I don't think I qualify as a "young kid". And if you look at my statement, I said I liked what Janelle Monae said during her acceptance speech- I wasn't promoting her as an artist. Look, making money is not a bad thing. But garbage is garbage.

76classic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The sad thing for groups like these is that they will always be more popular overseas than they are here. They can and do go to places like Japan and sell out big venues but here they are lucky if they can get 100 people to see them at BB King's. One of the saddest things I ever read was an interview with Styles P or one of those dudes where they played the original songs that his records had sampled and asked him if he knew any of the titles/artists. He did not know one nor cared to know one, and they were all old school R&B. I mean ****, this is your heritage as a black artist, the people that paved the way (and that you are making money off) and you don't even know who they are
confused.gif

As long as it brings a profit some don't care.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Song sucks, Nicky M. sucks, but like a train wreck it's hard to turn away.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Song sucks, Nicky M. sucks, but like a train wreck it's hard to turn away.

Sure everyone else is wrong, only you two have it right.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankie Beverly & Maze get played all the time on the corporate classic soul and R&B station here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads