• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston's Best Cobbler?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from this thread:
Originally Posted by RIDER
Every town has at least one guy who has been around for awhile, and knows how to re-build good shoes... Find him and patronize his shop
Anybody know who this gentleman might be in the Boston area?

Dan-

Reaction score
I have been told that there is a fellow on Charles Street in Beacon Hill who is excellent. He's under? a laundry place and is apparently unfriendly but does a terrific job. He's won Best in Boston for years.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Waban Shoe Repair, Waban MA ( Waban is a village of Newton which is west of Boston )

The only person to take good shoes to.

Gary

Is this in the T area by that Starbucks? (I lived in Waban till I was 10)

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
***bump***

How do you get to this guy from Harvard Square or Porter Square? How much are his costs and what does he do?

Is there anyone in the Harvard or Porter Square area who can do much simpler maintenance, such as attach rubber protectors or sell you shoelaces?

And where's the best shoeshine in Boston?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
***bump***

How do you get to this guy from Harvard Square or Porter Square? How much are his costs and what does he do?

I live right between harvard and porter. Take the red line in to Park Street, switch to the green outbound D line, get off at Waban. He's right there on the other side of the parking lot, but he closes early (3 or so)

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
***bump***

Is there anyone in the Harvard or Porter Square area who can do much simpler maintenance, such as attach rubber protectors or sell you shoelaces?

And where's the best shoeshine in Boston?

Second floor garage elevators entrance of "Cambridge-Side Gallery" mall
Odessa shoe repair.
I ve used him for what you describing as maintenance and he is good.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using Waban for a few years now and he is the best around Boston. I live in Cambridge so it is a quick ride from Harvard. Peer into the back of his store if you can if you go out there. The tools and machines he has back there are amazing.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If your looking for quick repair in the Harvard Square area, try Felix Shoe Repair. He is located in the basement around the back of the building of Ferante Dege camera shop which is on Massachusetts Avenue in Harvard Square.

Gary

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called Felix and he comes very well recommended based on local newspaper reports. However, I called and he says that he charges $45 - 75 just to put rubber protectors on leather soles, though he says he has this better rubber called Pirelli.

Is this expensive by East Coast standards? This job is a bit simple, so I was wondering if I should find a less prestigious but less expensive cobbler.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just dropped by Felix and he's the real thing. He's been at Harvard Square for over forty years, and glanced two seconds at my shoes to say what they were. He showed me what rubber he used and brought a sample of shoe he'd just put them on... an old pair of Edward Greens. His pitch was that I should have the rubbers put on because I bought good shoes, not plastic shoes (and takes a pair, with an indignant look on his face). He also said I should put the rubbers because no one resoles them the old way, by putting them on the last and restitching them, not economical anymore.

The problem is that he charges $45 for the simple rubber job, which is a tad painful considering it cost $7 at most where I came from.

How much does the average place charge for putting rubber protectors, for shoe shines, etc.?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
7 bucks, I don't think that even covers the cost of the rubber. It's an investment in your shoes and he really does do great work. I know it sounds expensive but so isn't a great meal at a restaurant. At least you will have something to show for it.

Best Regards,

Gary

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jose, welcome to Boston. A city where transactions start @ $20
laugh.gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, Gary, just checking if it's considerably more expensive than the other local cobblers. Or in New York, etc. I can see he does good work.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Jose, welcome to Boston. A city where transactions start @ $20
laugh.gif

And end at 12:30 am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads