1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boston's Best Cobbler?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Joel_Cairo, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

from this thread:
    Every town has at least one guy who has been around for awhile, and knows how to re-build good shoes... Find him and patronize his shop
    Anybody know who this gentleman might be in the Boston area?

2. Dan-

Dan- Well-Known Member

I have been told that there is a fellow on Charles Street in Beacon Hill who is excellent. He's under? a laundry place and is apparently unfriendly but does a terrific job. He's won Best in Boston for years.

3. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

Waban Shoe Repair, Waban MA ( Waban is a village of Newton which is west of Boston )

The only person to take good shoes to.

Gary

4. Joel_Cairo

Waban Shoe Repair, Waban MA ( Waban is a village of Newton which is west of Boston )

The only person to take good shoes to.

Gary

Is this in the T area by that Starbucks? (I lived in Waban till I was 10)

5. josepidal

josepidal Distinguished Member

***bump***

How do you get to this guy from Harvard Square or Porter Square? How much are his costs and what does he do?

Is there anyone in the Harvard or Porter Square area who can do much simpler maintenance, such as attach rubber protectors or sell you shoelaces?

And where's the best shoeshine in Boston?

6. Joel_Cairo

***bump***

How do you get to this guy from Harvard Square or Porter Square? How much are his costs and what does he do?

I live right between harvard and porter. Take the red line in to Park Street, switch to the green outbound D line, get off at Waban. He's right there on the other side of the parking lot, but he closes early (3 or so)

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Distinguished Member

***bump***

Is there anyone in the Harvard or Porter Square area who can do much simpler maintenance, such as attach rubber protectors or sell you shoelaces?

And where's the best shoeshine in Boston?

Second floor garage elevators entrance of "Cambridge-Side Gallery" mall
    Odessa shoe repair.
    I ve used him for what you describing as maintenance and he is good.

8. pscolari

pscolari Distinguished Member

I have been using Waban for a few years now and he is the best around Boston. I live in Cambridge so it is a quick ride from Harvard. Peer into the back of his store if you can if you go out there. The tools and machines he has back there are amazing.

9. Drinkwaters

If your looking for quick repair in the Harvard Square area, try Felix Shoe Repair. He is located in the basement around the back of the building of Ferante Dege camera shop which is on Massachusetts Avenue in Harvard Square.

Gary

10. josepidal

I called Felix and he comes very well recommended based on local newspaper reports. However, I called and he says that he charges $45 - 75 just to put rubber protectors on leather soles, though he says he has this better rubber called Pirelli.

Is this expensive by East Coast standards? This job is a bit simple, so I was wondering if I should find a less prestigious but less expensive cobbler.

11. josepidal

I just dropped by Felix and he's the real thing. He's been at Harvard Square for over forty years, and glanced two seconds at my shoes to say what they were. He showed me what rubber he used and brought a sample of shoe he'd just put them on... an old pair of Edward Greens. His pitch was that I should have the rubbers put on because I bought good shoes, not plastic shoes (and takes a pair, with an indignant look on his face). He also said I should put the rubbers because no one resoles them the old way, by putting them on the last and restitching them, not economical anymore.

The problem is that he charges $45 for the simple rubber job, which is a tad painful considering it cost $7 at most where I came from.

How much does the average place charge for putting rubber protectors, for shoe shines, etc.?

12. Drinkwaters

7 bucks, I don't think that even covers the cost of the rubber. It's an investment in your shoes and he really does do great work. I know it sounds expensive but so isn't a great meal at a restaurant. At least you will have something to show for it.

Best Regards,

Gary

13. Christofuh

Christofuh Distinguished Member

Jose, welcome to Boston. A city where transactions start @ $20 [​IMG]

14. josepidal

I know, Gary, just checking if it's considerably more expensive than the other local cobblers. Or in New York, etc. I can see he does good work.

15. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Jose, welcome to Boston. A city where transactions start @ $20 [​IMG]

And end at 12:30 am.