• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bostonians Vs Johnston and Murphy

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could someone link to the Bennie site re: Grensons, or post a pic? I see them talked about all the time and must have missed the original thread. I assume that the maker is not mentioned often as I don't see Grenson, Cheney etc listed there.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are the grensons at bennies gonna be. I remeber reading a post and he hadn't decided yet, are they still gonna be 150? Cause if they are am gonna wait. I am ordering some magnannis from him soon and would like to do both at the same time Is there any other place out there that has good deals like bennies? Or any other place that has grensons that are in my price range? Also any good place to find some AE we don't have any oultets around here and would have to order them cause the place that sells them around here probibly won't put them on sale. Thanks for all your responses so far.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL..

If you had joined the forum 2 months ago, you'd have a closet full of shoes from Bennies.

Bennies is a store in Georgia that sells shoes. Many have compared it to heaven in fact, due to the large selection of bargain shoes that used to be sold for obscene prices for Paul Stuart.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$80-150 at Bennies, I just bought some suede chukkas from Chris for $80 today.

As for AE, you can order from the outlets, I know the one in Cabazon will take phone orders and ship.

The Grensons will range in price, the ones with leather soles are $150 for the most part, but some of the others are much less. Keep in mind these shoes retail for $500-600+

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drittz is that just at bennies? Cause i've looked at what hes got right now and hes doesn't have anything in my size except for loafers. Is there some place else that sells grensons for cheap? Oh and are the grensons hes selling the masterpeices, I've been wondering that since i found out he was selling them.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, that is at Bennies, I would recommend you call and ask for him because they have a bunch of different stuff in stock at all times (he gets returns, etc...) Some them are of the masterpiece line and others are of footmaster, feathermaster, etc...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Another option in your price range might be the Loakes from Charles Tyrwhitt, if they are still having that sale. Check a few weeks back for the long thread on that and see what people thought of those. They look like good basic shoes, most likely better than a comparably priced Bostonian or J&M.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Grenson Masterpiece black captoes from Bennies. They're the equivalent in quality to the C&J handgrade Whitehall black captoes and superior to the Church Consuls. These are all $500 shoes. They run a bit narrow-be careful about size. I can't imagine buying Bostonians now as opposed to waiting for another six weeks.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Stay clear especially of Bostonian. I unfortunately tried a pair a couple of years ago because their "Italian" line was $35 instead of the usual $150. The shoes were uncomfortable and weren't even worth the $35 in my opinion.

Try an Allen Edmonds outlet.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would second the suggestions about Allen-Edmonds outlets. They seem to be an unbeatable way to buy quality shoes at reasonable prices. HOWEVER, I have for many years had a hard and fast rule about not buying shoes by mail-order...too much risk of a poor fit with the attendant nuisance of returning the things. I'll give a recent example to show how much difference minor lot-to-lot variations can make. This summer I bought a pair of A-E Lexingtons in black that were a good fit. However, when I tried the same shoe in merlot (three different pairs), they were always a poor fit. (This may be because the AE #1 last seems to be sort of borderline on my foot. Another example: usually the AE #4 last gives a bespoke-like fit on my foot. However, the last time I was in Cabazon, I tried on the Hancock in black. It was...well, sorta "okay," but certainly not as good a fit as the brown Hancocks in my wardrobe. Unfortunately, a great many Americans do not live anywhere near an A-E outlet. Until the store in Cabazon opened late last year, the A-E outlet nearest my Long Beach, California, home was in Omaha, Nebraska. As I recall, the original inquirer was based in Rochester, NY, meaning that the nearest A-E outlets are in Manchester, VT (I think) and Riverhead on Long Island. Neither is an easy jaunt for our inquirer just to buy shoes unless he is really into wardrobe building.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep alittle to far, i am in the city every now and then but i take the metro in from po town so long island would be out of the question for me and as for calling a outlet i doubt i will because i feel i would be more of a nuicence then anything cause most outlets, not sure about AE, have different things everywhere and i don't want to ask what they have. I think i will wait for a pair of Grensons from bennies. Another question on fit for grensons. I am usually a 10.5 B or C in some shoes or a 10 b-c in others. Do gresons run small in all types? I was thinking of trying the 10 B captoes but i think they might be small, the last post said they run small. http://www.benniesshoes.com/grenson10.htm Also does anyone know how much he is going to charge for his new batch of shoes? I don't know any place in Upstate or CNY, Western NY that sells grensons. If you know of one i would love to hear it. thanks Nik

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question on fit for grensons. Â I am usually a 10.5 B or C in some shoes or a 10 b-c in others. Â Do gresons run small in all types? Â I was thinking of trying the 10 B captoes but i think they might be small, the last post said they run small. http://www.benniesshoes.com/grenson10.htm Also does anyone know how much he is going to charge for his new batch of shoes? Â
I wear a 9E Alden and the same size in AE. My Grenson captoes (9E) (same model you are thinking about) are the right length and width in the toe area but run narrow between the heel and toe. They are stretching a bit. That's the only real difference size-wise. Conversely, I'm often told that the Alden Aberdeen last, which is what I wear, runs big. My suspicion is that these may be a tad small. On the other hand, returns are free and there will be a price increase (Chris hasn't yet specified). Maybe, if you email Chris, he can measure the length and the maximum width of the outsole so that you can compare them with your existing shoes.Incidentally, delivery is very,very fast-if you order, you won't wait to get your shoes.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 9E Alden and the same size in AE. My Grenson captoes (9E) (same model you are thinking about) are the right length and width in the toe area but run narrow between the heel and toe. They are stretching a bit. That's the only real difference size-wise.
I found the same to be the case with the way the Gren's fit.

Also re: J&M shoes. They do make three models (and I believe one is a cap-toe, though it didn't strike me as a particularly attractive model) made in the USA. I haven't tried a J&M in years, so I don't know about these models. They are about US$325 and without inspection, I'd say you might as well cf. to Alden and AE

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads