• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bostonian shoes

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Are AEs 100% made in US (so no customs fees)?

Also, are there any other brands in the same quality range?

And, non-marking soles? The pictures I found of them on the Ebay site look like they have the same marking soles as my Florscheims.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
The one and only pair of Bostonians I bought were $85 down the drain. They were comfortable in the shop, but after walking a city block in New York they hurt worse than anything I've ever worn and they never broke in. I counted them a total loss.
Yeah, same here. As far as I'm concerned, they owe me $85 or a brick through the store's window.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E shoes are generally made in the US. (There was an unfortunate incident with a certain line of Italian made AEs, but I think they are past that foolishness by now.) The AE's one finds on ebay are typically the US ones.

There are other brands in the same quality range, but not US made. Aldens are the other higher end US shoe maker, but they are not as easy to find at as high a discount and generally are regarded as being better than AE and priced accordingly.

I am sorry, but I do not know what you mean by "non-marking soles."

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Are AEs 100% made in US (so no customs fees)?

Also, are there any other brands in the same quality range?

And, non-marking soles? The pictures I found of them on the Ebay site look like they have the same marking soles as my Florscheims.

100% made in the US. The Calf Leather is probably imported, though the shell cordovan should be imported but processed in the US by Horween.

Alden, C&J Benchgrade, Grenson Footmaster, Alfred Sargent Premier are the other brands in the same general quality range. Brooks Brothers are also in the same quality range (they're made by Alden, C&J or Alfred Sargent).

AE's are the most affordable and easiest to get on discount.

I don't know anything about marking/non-marking soles. I don't have problems.

edit: marc237 beat me to it, the bastard.... although i don't think that Alden is better than AE, although it is certainly more expensive at full retail.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I am sorry, but I do not know what you mean by "non-marking soles."

Soles that don't leave black marks on the floor.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a second will feel the same as a first I tried on in HR, just will be noticeable if for some reason someone's kissing my feet?

why would someone be kissing your feet?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soles that don't leave black marks on the floor.
Well, some/most have leather soles, so those should be fine.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
the bastard....

bigstar[1].gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a second will feel the same as a first I tried on in HR, just will be noticeable if for some reason someone's kissing my feet?
If I had anyone kissing my feet, I would prefer HER to be nibbling my bare toes than scrutinizing my A-E's for defects. (I don't think I'd ask my wife to do either!) I know one young lady--a coworker who had worked as a cobbler for three years--who probably could assess my A-E's for defects. She is a strapping, buxom lass who has a certain appeal, but I seriously doubt if she could be induced to kiss my feet...OR Brad Pitt's or George Clooney's, for that matter, if you divine my meaning! A good cobbler I used until he folded up his shop told me that in the case of A-E seconds, he couldn't find what made them seconds most of the time. I have four pairs of A-E firsts and 28 pairs of seconds; my stepson has two pairs of A-E firsts and one pair of seconds (and will get another pair for his birthday in a few weeks). In vast majority of cases, I have been quite at a loss to descry what differentiates the firsts from the seconds. In the cases where I can find the flaw, they have almost invariably been minuscule and inconsequential.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
why would someone be kissing your feet?

No clue, but what other situation would someone have their face that close to my feet?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My advice would be to go look at a lot of very expensive shoes. Not Prada and the like, but the brands most respected on the forum -- EGs, Lobbs, etc. You don't have to buy them, or even try them on. Just look at them. Touch them. Smell them. Once you recognize the hallmarks of a really good shoe, the difference in, say, AE and a Bostonian will become glaringly obvious. (Glaring partly because of the artificial shine that denotes cheap leather.)

AAA

Reaction score
I actually have a pair of Bostonians that are at least 10 years old, and quite possibly 15. I can't pinpoint when I bought them, but it was definitely a long time ago. I have had them resoled three times, but alas they may be on their last legs. At this point in their lifecycle they fit my feet like a glove...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, I'd find these at places like HR?

Since you're in Vancouver, you're essentially SOL when it comes to English shoes, or even high-end Italian ones. I am in the same boat in Toronto. I believe the only store in Canada that carries EG is L'Uomo in Montreal. Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen only carry AE, Hugo Boss, Prada and other designer crap and a modest selection of Ferragamo (the Rosen flagship on Bloor here carries SF Tramezza, which the best you can find up here).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.8%

Forum statistics

Threads