• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Men's Shops

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Much of the actual or aspirational dressing on this forum can be traced to Louis, since that shop introduced or helped to establish brands like Barbera, Rubinacci, Kiton, Borelli, Vass, etc in the US.

But the store is not what it once was. See it before its lovely building is sold.

- B

Whats going on with that Bill? I have been told for a long time that they are moving out of there. Do they own the building? Can't afford the rent or what? Where will they be moving to? I can't imagine any other location replicating or even comparing to that spot. Very sad indeed.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Louis owner Debi Greenberg wants an edgier, more sophisticated location - where is as of yet to be determined. Maybe the waterfront. Her feeling is that Newbury Street used to be that sort of place, full of local boutiques, but is now dominated by mall-like chains. It's hard to argue, with a few exceptions. They plan to move in 2010.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Whats going on with that Bill? I have been told for a long time that they are moving out of there. Do they own the building? Can't afford the rent or what? Where will they be moving to? I can't imagine any other location replicating or even comparing to that spot. Very sad indeed.

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
My understanding is that Louis owner Debi Greenberg wants an edgier, more sophisticated location - where is as of yet to be determined. Maybe the waterfront. Her feeling is that Newbury Street used to be that sort of place, full of local boutiques, but is now dominated by mall-like chains. It's hard to argue, with a few exceptions. They plan to move in 2010.

A Globe article from May 2008...it is unclear to me how the current economy will affect these plans.

- B

tobinbridge

Reaction score
Filenes Basement on Newbury/Boylston St can be hit or miss. But If that's what you're into...

Thom Browne seersucker short bathing suit $199

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
There is very little in any American city that cannot be found, and one-upped, in NYC.

One place I forgot to mention is Achilles Project downtown on Summer St. I have not been, but it looks like it's worth a visit. Very stylistic, especially for Boston.

According to Foofy, there are no good Chinese dumplings in Manhattan.

But yes: Boston has become more of a sartorial backwater than usual.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I regret that I never saw Louis in what conoseiurs regard as its heyday.

I also did not know that it is moving.

tobinbridge

Reaction score
According to Foofy, there are no good Chinese dumplings in Manhattan.

But yes: Boston has become more of a sartorial backwater than usual.

- B

Bill did you have time to check out Puma City when the Volvo ocean race was in port? If Louis Boston moved to the pier close to the ICA it could build up the area.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that someone speaking for Louis was pissed about the Filene's Basement and the Marshall's within a stone's throw and talked to the press about moving in response to that fact. The FB stocks some of the same high-end Italian gear that's sold on Newbury Street.

I vaguely remember there is a good watch store or two on Newbury Street as well?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobinbridge
Bill did you have time to check out Puma City when the Volvo ocean race was in port? If Louis Boston moved to the pier close to the ICA it could build up the area.

Yes, and that was cool. And I love the ICA. And my favorite bartender is down there. In the dead of winter, though, I don't see trekking over there. I wish that I believed in the future of that part of town, and in the city's ability to make it appealling. I have my doubts.

Winter in the Back Bay, in contrast, is charming.

Debi Greenberg is positioning Louis to be a kind of lifestyle store (hmm...familiar theme...). This might be an intelligent business decision.

I don't think she has the interest or flair for tailored men's clothes that her father, Murry, did.

She might also relocate to the South End, and that might be a safer move.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I read that someone speaking for Louis was pissed about the Filene's Basement and the Marshall's within a stone's throw and talked to the press about moving in response to that fact. The FB stocks some of the same high-end Italian gear that's sold on Newbury Street.

I vaguely remember there is a good watch store or two on Newbury Street as well?

The actual quotation is in the Globe article to which I linked above.

There's a decent used and gray market retailer down Newbury: European Watch. Dorfman in the first block of Newbury sells Patek and Breguet.

- B

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Fair, Louis is supposed to have been a much better store 10-20 years ago. Today I feel their clothes are near Bergdorf's in price but a 10th of that in selection and wearability (can one even find a normal-looking business suit at Louis nowadays?)

I've also been turned off by their pathetic shoe selection. I know they have carried everything from EG to Carmina, but now they sell the uber-expensive (and not quite my taste) Kiton shoes and then random things from To Boot and Heschung. Just weird. Honestly, if I had to pick a clothing store which most resembled the current Louis, I would pick Barney's Boston (not NY, which has a great large selection). Lots of kind of odd brownish stuff which is all Italian and way too expensive (regardless the handwork yada yada yada).

tobinbridge

Reaction score
Yes, and that was cool. And I love the ICA. And my favorite bartender is down there. In the dead of winter, though, I don't see trekking over there. I wish that I believed in the future of that part of town, and in the city's ability to make it appealling. I have my doubts.

Winter in the Back Bay, in contrast, is charming.

Debi Greenberg is positioning Louis to be a kind of lifestyle store (hmm...familiar theme...). This might be an intelligent business decision.

I don't think she has the interest or flair for tailored men's clothes that her father, Murry, did.

She might also relocate to the South End, and that might be a safer move.

- B

It was fun. It's not every day I request to borrow a sail boat from a attractive Swedish girl, and with a smile receive a "you must be joking."

I agree, the south end would be a safer move; it has atmosphere. And like the Back Bay when winter comes it's only a short walk to the next store/bar/restaurant. I am not convinced that the pier is the new Boston but I don't want the ICA to be the only shining star. Time will tell.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Fair, Louis is supposed to have been a much better store 10-20 years ago. Today I feel their clothes are near Bergdorf's in price but a 10th of that in selection and wearability (can one even find a normal-looking business suit at Louis nowadays?)

I've also been turned off by their pathetic shoe selection. I know they have carried everything from EG to Carmina, but now they sell the uber-expensive (and not quite my taste) Kiton shoes and then random things from To Boot and Heschung. Just weird. Honestly, if I had to pick a clothing store which most resembled the current Louis, I would pick Barney's Boston (not NY, which has a great large selection). Lots of kind of odd brownish stuff which is all Italian and way too expensive (regardless the handwork yada yada yada).

I agree about Louis, especially the "odd brownish stuff!" I thought the same thing last time I was in there - everything is in the same dull color palate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads