• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Custom Tailor (Any options?)

joseanes

Reaction score
I want to get a custom suit (plain navy or gray), and potentially a custom navy blazer. (MTM, not ready for bespoke - finantially). I would preffer to keep the cost below the $1000. I live in Massachusetts (close to Boston). So far I have seen these options: * WW Chan - $800 to $1000??? Recomended by several members of the forum. Comes to Boston on July 11. Two months to receive after placing order? * My Tailor - $700 to $1000??? Haven't seen as many recomendations as wwchan. Comes to Boston April 30. Two months to receive? Sooner than Chan. * Boston Post Road Clothier (a local outsorcing custom clothing place) - Told me it would cost around $1400 to $2000 for a MTM suit, for 130s or better fabric, built in USA or Canada (thus the price difference?). Half canvased, buttonholes, partially handmade. One Month wait. * Drive to NYC about 3 times to see Mr. Ned on NYC and get a suit for around $800 for a 120 fabric. (seems fair price given that people suggest he does the work in NYC). * Brooks Brothers Custom Event - $1400 for a 120, with a custom shirt thrown in on the offer. Saw this on Ask Andy. In Boston Now until saturday 22. Do I have any other options? Preferably someone like Ned, but in or close to Boston? Or some other business that would do a MTM suit but below $1000? The motivation: I haven't had too much luck with RTW suits (maybe I am looking on the wrong places). The suits I have don't look as good as I would like. Having a 36" chest, I would expect a 36R would work. But ussually they are tight somewhere else. If I go to a 38R, then the shoulders are too wide (and probably waist as well, depending on the maker). I do not use a suit every day - more likely 2 to 4 days a month on presentations to customers or overseas business, but I would like to have something better than what I have right now (and a better fit).

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to go true bespoke, go to Rizzo Tailor in Harvard Square. For not much more than the Brooks MTM, you can get a truly handmade bespoke suit (multiple fittings) and have a wide array of swatches. Top grade English fabrics -- such as a J & J Minniss 99% wool 1% cashmere 2x2 ply 10 oz -- can be had for about $1800 to $2000. There were some Scabal fabrics for even less than that.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
* Drive to NYC about 3 times to see Mr. Ned on NYC and get a suit for around $800 for a 120 fabric. Â (seems fair price given that people suggest he does the work in NYC). Â
Mr. Ned only charges $800 for a Super 120s suit? Fully canvased?

boston

Reaction score
Is Rizzo good? What's the house style?

Lords tailor, on Huntington Ave underneath the Greenhouse appartments, will do a fully fused MTM for around $1000 using Scabal cloth.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
* My Tailor - $700 to $1000??? Â Haven't seen as many recomendations as wwchan. Â Comes to Boston April 30. Â Two months to receive? Â Sooner than Chan.
Do some more reading in the archives here. I think you'd be much better with Chan given those prices, but it might be worth coming to NYC to check out Mr. Ned. EDIT over MyTailor.com, no idea on Rizzo's but his work sounds excellent from JN3

drljva

Reaction score
Is Rizzo good? What's the house style?

Lords tailor, on Huntington Ave underneath the Greenhouse appartments, will do a fully fused MTM for around $1000 using Scabal cloth.
I've used Rizzo for many years... I've written before (either here or on AA) about Rizzo's "house style" -- or at least my sense of it. So, you might want to do some searching for those posts...

gracian

Reaction score
Andover shop in Harvard square does MTM starting at about 800 to 1000.

richardcharles

Reaction score
in my oppinion, and I live in Boston, Tony Ayala is the best tailor in the area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads