• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boss trying to force me to resign, is he allowed to do this?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got called into my bosses office today and he basically had a massive rant at me about what a **** worker I am and how either he's gonna "manage me out" (don't know what that means, I'm assuming it means getting fired?) or I can hand in a letter of resignation on sunday. I work at sainsburys as a night shift shelf stacker so this isn't exactly an important job, but I think my boss is being a prick and I want to get a bit more money before I go to uni in september. I'm pretty sure he's just trying to bully me out because he doesn't like me, claiming it's because I work slowly, but I work faster then pretty much everyone else in the store and he says I'm not "part of the team" even though I talk to everyone I work with. I'm out of the 4 week prohibition period when I started where they can fire me with no reason so I'm just woundering can he really fire me and if so how long would it take? He says I'm allowed to leave a letter of resignation, but I think he's only saying that because I've not actually done anything wrong and he can't actually fire me. He's a massive prick, always screaming at me for ridiculous reasons like picking up a pack of crisps and putting them on the shelves, but since I'm not working on crisps thats a horrible thing apparently. Also a few weeks ago my boss stole a cake and a pack of fosters to give to people when some guy was leaving, we have an anonymous phone number to call to report people above you if you suspect them of stealing, I think this would be worth doing. I only want to work until August the 11th to get my next pay check, I'm guessing it will take longer then that to fire me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Got called into my bosses office today and he basically had a massive rant at me about what a **** worker I am and how either he's gonna "manage me out" (don't know what that means, I'm assuming it means getting fired?) or I can hand in a letter of resignation on sunday. I work at sainsburys as a night shift shelf stacker so this isn't exactly an important job, but I think my boss is being a prick and I want to get a bit more money before I go to uni in september. I'm pretty sure he's just trying to bully me out because he doesn't like me, claiming it's because I work slowly, but I work faster then pretty much everyone else in the store and he says I'm not "part of the team" even though I talk to everyone I work with. I'm out of the 4 week prohibition period when I started where they can fire me with no reason so I'm just woundering can he really fire me and if so how long would it take? He says I'm allowed to leave a letter of resignation, but I think he's only saying that because I've not actually done anything wrong and he can't actually fire me. He's a massive prick, always screaming at me for ridiculous reasons like picking up a pack of crisps and putting them on the shelves, but since I'm not working on crisps thats a horrible thing apparently. Also a few weeks ago my boss stole a cake and a pack of fosters to give to people when some guy was leaving, we have an anonymous phone number to call to report people above you if you suspect them of stealing, I think this would be worth doing. I only want to work until August the 11th to get my next pay check, I'm guessing it will take longer then that to fire me.

don't quit. make him force you out

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its true, they can't actually force you to quit without going through (from memory, you'd need to talk to HR):

Verbal warning --> Written Warning --> Training Plan --> Fired then you can appeal.

Each of those stages is supposed to take about 4 weeks, so you're well clear of September. Having said that, is the money good enough to put up with being bullied all night?

With regards to the stealing thing, I'd be cautious if you don't have any proof. Maybe invest in a dictaphone that you can use to record Mr Boss giving unwarranted criticism.

Depending on your balls you could also resign and take them to court for "Constructive Dismissal" which is where you are forced to resign by management, a practice that is illegal.

I'd go to the market square and see if M&S have any jobs going, much nicer people to work for than Sainsburys.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its true, they can't actually force you to quit without going through (from memory, you'd need to talk to HR):
Verbal warning --> Written Warning --> Training Plan --> Fired then you can appeal.
Each of those stages is supposed to take about 4 weeks, so you're well clear of September. Having said that, is the money good enough to put up with being bullied all night?
With regards to the stealing thing, I'd be cautious if you don't have any proof. Maybe invest in a dictaphone that you can use to record Mr Boss giving unwarranted criticism.
Depending on your balls you could also resign and take them to court for "Constructive Dismissal" which is where you are forced to resign by management, a practice that is illegal.
I'd go to the market square and see if M&S have any jobs going, much nicer people to work for than Sainsburys.

Number is anonymous, something called rightline. Don't think it can get back to me if I report him. I don't think anyone will hire me for only a month before uni so changing job isn't really an option. Money is 8 quid an hour, I can put up with the abuse, I find it kind of funny to see his jimmies get so ridiculously russled. Gonna go into HR tomorrow ask about how long it'll take to fire me and complain. We got a new store manager who doesn't like my boss so maybe this will result in him getting bitched at. Next pay day is August 11th, I think I can easily stretch working till then.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let him fire you. If you quit/resign, you're not eligible for unemployment.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^It's a summer job, I doubt he is going to be collecting unemployment. If I were you I would resign and then find odd jobs or ways of making money. You might even make more than working at a store.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Stay and piss him off, act like an asshole. If you don't feel like coming in one day don't even bother.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^It's a summer job, I doubt he is going to be collecting unemployment. If I were you I would resign and then find odd jobs or ways of making money. You might even make more than working at a store.

If I could still make money selling RLPL on here I would, so much fun, so many moneys. I had a really hard time finding this job already, most low end jobs don't want people with good A levels and I have basically no job experience.

If I could collect unemployment I would, it's like $100 a week, which is more then enough. Sadly as a US citizen I can't get it. I have like $2k from the job to last me until I go to uni, but I'd still like a bit more. I'm going to follow Fuumas advice and troll my boss until I have to leave for uni or at least until I get paid next.

About a week ago he wrapped a bunch of tape across a room in the hope it would trip me over or something. I walked around it. He started saying how dumb I am for walking around it instead of going under it. Is this real life? He's always going on about how fast we have to work in the night shift to get the store ready for the next day yet he has time for this ****? Strong maturity.

Last edited:

crispeta

Reaction score
1) don't quit - swallow
2) Be a total dick to him and tell him that you will continue to do your best and work your ass off - never admit any flaws
3) just a couple of days - count them and collect the money on the way

Portll

Reaction score
Don't be a total dick to him, use a dictaphone. An Olympus 8500VN or whatever will set you back about 30 quid, be useful when you're at uni to record lectures etc, and easily fits into a trouser pocket. just record any and all interactions, then claim constructive dismissal by getting in his face just before you leave anyway - if it doesn't work, quit on no notice as he's already offered. ask him to put the offer of resignation without you giving notice into writing, gives you a better case and more leeway to move.

think the compensation could help you through uni! in the meantime, make sure your work is fast and faultless and be extra friendly with the other guys - they'll then vouch for you in a tribunal.

Luddite

Reaction score
The advice about recording conversations with a dictaphone is not necessarily good. It's a nice idea - but several jurisdictions (I don't know about the UK) ban or restrict recording people without their consent.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with this 8 quid an hour stuff? What happened to the days of you sling Tom Ford on B&S?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly I can't get TF sweaters for like $40 or RLBL suits for $120-250.

TROLOLOLOLOL Went to HR, he getting dem disciplinary actions. They were really upset about the forcing me to resign thing. Having a meeting with him, the new store manager and the HR manager and I don't have to work on sunday, but I'm getting paid for it because they don't want me to be in a negative environment. He dun goofed, jimmies will be ridiculously russled by this.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had the meeting. Boss brown nosed me for an hour and half in front of his new boss. Got paid for it too. Said the reason he's so angry is because I'm leaving soon and he had high hopes for me in the company. Strong bull ****, was really hard not to laugh. He always yells at me for slouching when I put stuff on the shelves, he said it's because he's worried about my spinal health. Maximum trolling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads