• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boss suits

Tyto

Reaction score
Until very recently in fact, I have always considered BOSS to be a fat man's suit, now they seem to be biting the slim style that's been going on for awhile, like Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole. I tried on a Boss suit at a Boss boutique, expecting to hate it, and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Still, a little too conservative a cut for me.
"Suits for fat men or game show hosts" was my perception, too. But I also recently tried one and wound up buying it (at deep discount) for the fit, which was nearly perfect--and I'm a 36S. The styling isn't distinguished, to say the least, but it has a fairly high gorge and button stance, both of which fit my needs.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, having lived in the usa for a bit of time, I have to say the average suit buyer american male and the average suit buyer french male tend to substantially differ in size and figure.
At any rate, I find the European Boss suits to be a decent fit. The suit I bought on Saturday was a slimmer fitting one, particularly for a 6-2, 240 man.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Luc-Emmanuel @ Mar. 31 2005,02:42) Well, having lived in the usa for a bit of time, I have to say the average suit buyer american male and the average suit buyer french male tend to substantially differ in size and figure.
At any rate, I find the European Boss suits to be a decent fit. The suit I bought on Saturday was a slimmer fitting one, particularly for a 6-2, 240 man.
Well, 6-2/240 is what I call "fat", believe it or not. Luc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Gorgegekko,

I think that 6'2", 240 is fat unless you are a serious athlete with 20 + inch shoulders and you have a drop of 7 or more.

I'm 5'11" and 165 with a 7 inch drop and that is pretty close to what I call normal. I would say that at 6'2", a fit (but not really athletic) man would be about 200 lbs, tops.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
What would be good basic suits?  Just list a few brands.
Brooks Brothers. In particular, if you can find a Golden Fleece on sale, it's probably worth it.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Gorgegekko, I think that 6'2", 240 is fat unless you are a serious athlete with 20 + inch shoulders and you have a drop of 7 or more. I'm 5'11" and 165 with a 7 inch drop and that is pretty close to what I call normal. I would say that at 6'2", a fit (but not really athletic) man would be about 200 lbs, tops.
Ha ha no apologies necessary. My shoulders are about 25 inches (perhaps a bit larger) and my chest is a bit over 48 inches. That said, I've let myself go lately. Hard to believe I used to run 7 kilometres a day and threw mountains effortlessly. The perils of aging...smoking...drinking...eating. When I was 196 pounds I was far too slim.
Well, 6-2/240 is what I call "fat", believe it or not.
Height/weight are like any stats...without context they mean little. I won't claim to be in superb condition though
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My shoulders are about 25 inches (perhaps a bit larger) and my chest is a bit over 48 inches. That said, I've let myself go lately. Hard to believe I used to run 7 kilometres a day and threw mountains effortlessly. The perils of aging...smoking...drinking...eating.

Wow, so you are a true 49 L. You must have been 196 when you were running the 7K a day. At 240 lbs, you are probably still in decent shape (assuming that you don't have chicken legs).

That said, one of my best friends (the black, dreadlocked dude from my old picture, for those old timers who remember) is your height, and weighs between 185-195, with a 30-31 waist - pure muscle. We used to work out together, and he curled 75 lbs weights for *toning* sets. I never saw him lift his maximum, but he had/has the strongest grip I have ever felt (with the exception of Shaq, who came to the gym of my grad school for a "Help the youth" type of program one year.) I've never seen him wear a suit, but I can't imagine anything but MTM or custom fitting him. He had a 10 drop, minimum, probably closer to 12. Knowing that he had my back when we went out was great (a 165 lb, 5'11" Asian dude in "hipster" clothes is not all that intimidating). Maybe I'll make him "official bouncer" at my wedding.

No slouch in the intellectual department either. He'll be getting his doctorate this year.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, so you are a true 49 L. You must have been 196 when you were running the 7K a day. At 240 lbs, you are probably still in decent shape (assuming that you don't have chicken legs).
I was actually a little lighter when I was running. I hit 196 when I was playing football. Decent shape? Not bad shape (no chicken legs, ha ha) but like I said, I let myself go in recent years. I have this problem of getting in good shape and then letting myself slide. At 33 it will be harder to get back into what I would be happy with.
That said, one of my best friends (the black, dreadlocked dude from my old picture, for those old timers who remember) is your height, and weighs between 185-195, with a 30-31 waist - pure muscle. We used to work out together, and he curled 75 lbs weights for *toning* sets.
I have a friend like that as well (and black at that) though he's about 6'. Bastard puts on muscle like I drink Crown Royal. Guy has a dream body that I'm jealous of. And man, can that guy lift. Weighed about 180 or so but he could bench the high 300s. I hate guys like that
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 33 it will be harder to get back into what I would be happy with.

I feel you.  At 30, It's been a lot harder to get a flat stomach and build muscle at the same time than it was just a few years ago, despite including more core and abdominal exercises in my workout.  And I used to be able to run 40-50 miles a week (including hill and interval workouts), only needing to take a "short" week once in a while.  These days, I run 30 miles, tops, and feel it every week.  I guess that youth doesn't last forever.  

I have a friend like that as well (and black at that) though he's about 6'. Bastard puts on muscle like I drink Crown Royal. Guy has a dream body that I'm jealous of. And man, can that guy lift. Weighed about 180 or so but he could bench the high 300s. I hate guys like that

Except for the height, that describes my friend to a T.  And he *never* worked out as diligently as I did.  His father is is pretty decent shape for a 50 something too, so I probably won't even get to have the revenge of age.  Life, and genetics in particular, is unfair.

Of course, tonight I plan on eating a Pork Cuban sandwich for dinner, so I probably have no one to blame but myself.  I guess I'm just running to stand still.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel you. At 30, It's been a lot harder to get a flat stomach and build muscle at the same time than it was just a few years ago, despite including more core and abdominal exercises in my workout. And I used to be able to run 40-50 miles a week (including hill and interval workouts), only needing to take a "short" week once in a while. These days, I run 30 miles, tops, and feel it every week. I guess that youth doesn't last forever.
I've been told it's wasted on the young :)

I think I've reconciled myself to a slow spiral of letting myself go and then once hitting a mental trip wire getting myself back into slightly better shape, ha ha.

Needless to say I don't run anymore. Pity...I liked doing it in a perverse way.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boss suits are for farmers who like labels.
I would not go that far.

Boss suits like Einstein model looks good if you have a lean body that is not out of porportion (meaning drop of 6 or 7 at most). I need at least drop of 8, preferably 9, I cannot make Boss suit to fit me well.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoulders are about 25 inches (perhaps a bit larger) and my chest is a bit over 48 inches. That said, I've let myself go lately. Hard to believe I used to run 7 kilometres a day and threw mountains effortlessly. The perils of aging...smoking...drinking...eating.
Damn. I should have shut up.
smile.gif
.Luc

Lydia

Reaction score
What is a good suit if you have a sizable drop?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics