• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boss suits

musiczone

Reaction score
Where is a good source for Hugo suits($795 retail) on the internet? Thanks

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
I know the forum members are not big fans of Boss suits, but I own a couple and I think they are quite nice fit, finish and style. Granted they are not the best you can get, and maybe not always the best in their price range, I think it is silly to always bash them. You can usually find them on overstock.com or smartbargains.com at a discount.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JN3--some people like the cut and look of Hugo Boss suits, and don't know or care about the construction details. I have a friend who gets them at a very low price from a relative in retail, and he considers them to be his workhorse rainy day/warehouse doc review/cigar lounge type suit.

Muziczone--in addition to being available on eBay pretty regularly, Hugo Boss suits are frequently available on Bluefly, Smartbargains, and overstock.com for about the same prices as you'd pay at an outlet store or Barney's warehouse sale. IMHO, they aren't worth the $400 you'd pay online, let alone the MSRP price. But if you really like the styling, I'd say to dig on eBay or Bluefly.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always check out the Baldessarini by Hugo Boss much better deal and there are a few on ebay now.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Mike C. has pointed out, the Boss from the Boss boutiques or from Europe have radically different cuts and styling from Bloomingdales Boss suits. The latter have no "styling" at all -- they are just ordinary, fused junk. So the argument about liking the styling of those suits just doesn't fly with me.

If you want a Boss suit that is cut like a Boss (whatever that means), and you want it for cheap, I'd go to a Boss Outlet. The ones on Bluefly and smartbargains, those aren't Boss Boutique Boss suits. They are just department store crap.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Mike C. has pointed out, the Boss from the Boss boutiques or from Europe have radically different cuts and styling from Bloomingdales Boss suits.  The latter have no "styling" at all -- they are just ordinary, fused junk.  So the argument about liking the styling of those suits just doesn't fly with me.

If you want a Boss suit that is cut like a Boss (whatever that means), and you want it for cheap, I'd go to a Boss Outlet.  The ones on Bluefly and smartbargains, those aren't Boss Boutique Boss suits.  They are just department store crap.
Wow, that's harsh.  While I am no great fan of Boss suits (although I am wearing a Baldessarini suit right now), the ones I have seen have a highly structured cut that flatters the athletic build.  Preferable in my opinion to a Jos. A. Banks suit.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Mike C. has pointed out, the Boss from the Boss boutiques or from Europe have radically different cuts and styling from Bloomingdales Boss suits. The latter have no "styling" at all -- they are just ordinary, fused junk. So the argument about liking the styling of those suits just doesn't fly with me.
I don't know about that supposedly "new cut". I've *heard* that BOSS had changed its cut to a much slimmer figure.
But for me Boss suits have always been "the suits that fit fat bankers".
Yes, cut for "athletic figures", whatever that politically correct bullshit means ...

Luc

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But for me Boss suits have always been "the suits that fit fat bankers".
I'm surprised you would say that. The American Boss suits are certainly cut fuller compared to the European Boss suits -- which we get here in Canada -- but the suits you see in Europe are relatively slimmer fitting. I would hardly imagine black label Boss fitting a fat banker.

At any rate, I like Boss suits for the styling. I bought a nice navy Boss suit on Saturday actually.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, cut for "athletic figures", whatever that politically correct bullshit means ...
How is that politically correct?

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Luc-Emmanuel @ Mar. 30 2005,16:23) Yes, cut for "athletic figures", whatever that politically correct bullshit means ...
How is that politically correct?
The "athletic" cut is not particularly athletic. The "normal" cut is for folks with butter IVs.

musiczone

Reaction score
jn3, Thanks for your reply(and everyone else's too). I know that most of the Boss suits are fused ,however I don't wear suits regularly.I was at Brooks Brothers today and looked at suits there,then I went to Bloomingdales(just like you said) so the Boss suits appeared to have a little more 'styling'.I'm not thin(44reg) so I can't wear just anything.What would you recommend?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you would say that. The American Boss suits are certainly cut fuller compared to the European Boss suits -- which we get here in Canada -- but the suits you see in Europe are relatively slimmer fitting. I would hardly imagine black label Boss fitting a fat banker.
Well, having lived in the usa for a bit of time, I have to say the average suit buyer american male and the average suit buyer french male tend to substantially differ in size and figure. Add the almost hysterical tendancy and social pressure to "work out" and stay in shape, and you end up with very different cut and perception of the same brand from both sides of the atlantic.
In fact, the average french suit buyer fits into a Paul Smith (london) suit, if that's a basis of comparison.

Luc

Brian SD

Reaction score
Until very recently in fact, I have always considered BOSS to be a fat man's suit, now they seem to be biting the slim style that's been going on for awhile, like Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole. I tried on a Boss suit at a Boss boutique, expecting to hate it, and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Still, a little too conservative a cut for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads