• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bose SoundDock II

jase12

Reaction score
thinking of buying this for my iPhone 3G. Any thoughts on this product? are there better ones out there for the same or less $$?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No experience with this, but I generally dislike what Bose puts out. In most cases there is a better-sounding, easier-to-use gadget available at Cambridge SoundWorks.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Athena's iVoice. If still available, it should run you $50.

I have not been able to compare directly with the Bose, but I have been very happy with ours (we have three). They are a good value for the money. (FWIW, I agree with the assessment above. Bose products compete, usually unfavorably, with products costing 1/3 as much. The Athena is probably a good example.)

SOHCitTOem

Reaction score
I have a bose sounddock the portable one. It sounds terrific. But if you play your music really loud it's not really designed for that. What's cool about the portable is that you just charge it up and you can take it ANYWHERE and it will last you a good 4 hours on a full charge with constant playing which IMO is very long. When it does get loud, it kinda distorts tho. I'm happy with my sounddock but I'm pretty sure there a lot of other capable and CHEAPER docks out there. all depends on your budget i guess.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
General rule: Avoid Bose at all costs.

Almost always there is a better sounding brand for a lot less.

bkk

Reaction score
No highs, no lows, must be Bose. Its the company that spends all of their earnings on marketing and not engineering.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried some Bose headphones recently. Shockingly bad. Nearly 5 bills! My brother has the SoundDock. Equally bad. For downtown, hip condos only
smile.gif

Valence

Reaction score
There is another helpful indicator for Bose quality standards:

BOSE
Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

The Bose lifestyle systems for example.
Woefully underpowered.
untreated paper cones, which is a cheaper material than even many entry-level computer speakers.
The subwoofer is a 5.5 inch untreated paper woofer, as I remember. I have never heard a system, even in a small area that is even remotely adequate for bass response with less than an eight inch woofer.
Plenty of better options for less.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else and say don't touch Bose. I bought a pair of 601IVs several years ago and regret it. A lot better can be had for much less money.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Not that I would encourage this sort of thing, but if you must...I was in the Apple Store and saw one of these B&W Zeppelin docking thingies. Respectable name, decent styling, and it seemed to make sufficient "noise". I don't think it was particularly cheap though.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think the Zeppelin is around $600. It has received very positive reviews.

jase12

Reaction score
yer its like AUD$1000. bit rich for my blood

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads