• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino v. Stetson

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my fedoras (I've worn many!) to date have been Borsalinos. I'm used to Borsalino and while I am aware that they aren't perfect, I feel comfortable with the models I've chosen over the years. Last week, however, I saw a fur felt Stetson (I believe the model is Temple) for sale at a Brooks Brothers store (it was made for BB) for 80 dollars. It looks and feels nice, but it's very, very different, in style and in feel, than a Borsalino. I'm wondering how the brands compare and whether the hat is worth the money I spent for it.

photo15-2.jpg

photo11-2.jpg

photo10-2.jpg

photo9-2.jpg

photo8-2.jpg

photo7-2.jpg

photo5-2.jpg

On a separate note, does anyone know about the hats for sale here?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, most of what brooks stocks with hats is in SMLXL sizing, rather than proper hat sizing, and that's not that great. One expects better from a retailer like Brooks, though with the lack of hats these days, you shouldn't be too surprised. At least they're not selling BB logo baseball caps. Stetson is making a decent product these days in general, and that is a good price (probably due to the lack of sizes), so if you wear a size that falls on a multiple of a quarter, you're probably fine.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not try an Akubra?

dasai

Reaction score
I have one Stetson fedora -- a modern reproduction of the old Whippet. It's a good hat for the money (even if it bears only a slight resemblance to its namesake apart from perhaps the ribbon-bound edge). The binding and the grey color also make it only suitable to wear with a dark suit, but it makes for a good combination when required.

My one complaint is that it's more of a 7 3/8 than the 7 1/4 it says it is. Don't know if that's a common issue or just my hat, though. I've solved it in the interim by putting folded-up newspaper under the sweatband so it actually grips my head and doesn't fly off in the wind.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stetsons have held up quite well for me. Didn't know they switched to SMLXL. Maybe because I haven't bought one in 10 years.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Stetsons have held up quite well for me. Didn't know they switched to SMLXL. Maybe because I haven't bought one in 10 years.

I believe they only use the SMLXL sizing on the hats they make for Brooks. The current Stetson offerings are quite nice.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I believe this is true. We sell Stetsons and they come in actual diameter sizes.
Harvey and you are correct. I looked up a few hats at Miller hats and they had regular sizing.

Fred H.

Reaction score
The Fedora Lounge is the place to go for in-depth discussion of hats. I believe that there are approximately and equal number of contemporary Borso and Stetson fans, but the consensus is that no current large production maker compares favorably to vintage. There are, as I have stated elsewhere, some amazing current custom hat makers. Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes) is my preferred vendor. His hats are 100% beaver fur felt and fit your noggin precisely. They run a little north of $300.

hatguy

Reaction score
would also consider penman hats
john penman is very communicative and made a nice custom fedora for me

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at what the Beaver Hat Company has to offer. They make some nice hats and you can have them customize any hat they make. If you want 100% beaver fur felt on any of their hats they'll do that too.

Sazerac

Reaction score
I understand Kid Rock wears Borsalinos. So obviously Borsalinos are the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads