• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Fur Felt Fedora

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some more details and a few new inquiries re my newly acquired vintage dark loden fur felt Borsalino fedora.I'd like to participate in the Borsalino Brotherhood on the Fedora Lounge site but, even though I "joined" a while back, it's not letting me post so far.
This beautiful object, stated to be "made expressly for mc avoy Boardwalk Atlantic City," has the various markings others have described on these forums - with the 1857 and 1900 notes, the "'Diamante' twenty-five" note, the "Augusta" label, etc. All beautiful, in excellent condition. It's got the wind trolly I've asked about. I had assumed any size tag had been removed or fell off, but now I see the number "7" in two places - hidden underneath the leather sweatband. One is a piece of leather, I think, which has stamped into it "alpestre 7" with the numbers "3055" and "58493." From what I find on the Web the word means "Alpine" so is that to imply Boralino considered this an "Alpine-style" fedora?
Then directly right on the underside of the leather sweatband is a cloth tag with sort of an "open hand" image saying "EULAN BAYER 7." Others have written this was some sort of mothproofing used in making the hat - right?
There are the letters "G F W" in perforated format on the sweatband as well. Am I to assume these may have been added by the original owner as his initials, or are these perforated letters something Borsalino would have stamped on the sweatband?
Yes, yes, I'm learning to use my new digital camera and shall try to post some photos but right now can anyone comment on these details? They sure put a lot into each of these hats!
The wind cord is a bit worn in one spot; does anyone know how difficult it might be for me to get someone to replace it were it to break? Could Borsalino send a new one, with the little button (silk?) for my local store, which sells new Borsalinos, to attach? Silly question, I know, as I could just ask in the local store. But has anyone had one replaced or put in where there was none before?
Finally, I assume the two "7s" referred to are indeed the size, though it seems slightly generous for a 7. Indeed, how can I measure the hat to determine if it is in fact a 7? I might have it slightly stretched by one of my hat stores, as it is a speck snug. But I sure don't want it stretched too much....
worship.gif

Felix Krull

Reaction score
If you love wearing hats and want a truly classic fedora then you need to leave the ready-to-wear stuff alone and contact Gary, the Custom Hatter in Buffalo. He is the best hat-maker in the world today, period.

www.custom-hatter.com

He can make a custom fedora for you, just like what Bogart or Indiana Jones wore, for around $300.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Some more details and a few new inquiries re my newly acquired vintage dark loden fur felt Borsalino fedora.I'd like to participate in the Borsalino Brotherhood on the Fedora Lounge site but, even though I "joined" a while back, it's not letting me post so far.
This beautiful object, stated to be "made expressly for mc avoy Boardwalk Atlantic City," has the various markings others have described on these forums - with the 1857 and 1900 notes, the "'Diamante' twenty-five" note, the "Augusta" label, etc. All beautiful, in excellent condition. It's got the wind trolly I've asked about. I had assumed any size tag had been removed or fell off, but now I see the number "7" in two places - hidden underneath the leather sweatband. One is a piece of leather, I think, which has stamped into it "alpestre 7" with the numbers "3055" and "58493." From what I find on the Web the word means "Alpine" so is that to imply Boralino considered this an "Alpine-style" fedora?
Then directly right on the underside of the leather sweatband is a cloth tag with sort of an "open hand" image saying "EULAN BAYER 7." Others have written this was some sort of mothproofing used in making the hat - right?
There are the letters "G F W" in perforated format on the sweatband as well. Am I to assume these may have been added by the original owner as his initials, or are these perforated letters something Borsalino would have stamped on the sweatband?
Yes, yes, I'm learning to use my new digital camera and shall try to post some photos but right now can anyone comment on these details? They sure put a lot into each of these hats!
The wind cord is a bit worn in one spot; does anyone know how difficult it might be for me to get someone to replace it were it to break? Could Borsalino send a new one, with the little button (silk?) for my local store, which sells new Borsalinos, to attach? Silly question, I know, as I could just ask in the local store. But has anyone had one replaced or put in where there was none before?
Finally, I assume the two "7s" referred to are indeed the size, though it seems slightly generous for a 7. Indeed, how can I measure the hat to determine if it is in fact a 7? I might have it slightly stretched by one of my hat stores, as it is a speck snug. But I sure don't want it stretched too much....
worship.gif

The 7 maybe a punti Euro size like 7.5UK /7 5/8 USA size 61cm. Measure round the sweatband.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
If you love wearing hats and want a truly classic fedora then you need to leave the ready-to-wear stuff alone and contact Gary, the Custom Hatter in Buffalo. He is the best hat-maker in the world today, period.

www.custom-hatter.com

He can make a custom fedora for you, just like what Bogart or Indiana Jones wore, for around $300.

To be good is one thing, but the best in the world? I rank my hats from Optimo (Chicago) with the best. His prices are now nearly $500. Have you seen in person or own a fedora from Optimo?
Visit this forum for more info about high quality fedoras:

The Fedora Lounge
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The wind cord is a bit worn in one spot; does anyone know how difficult it might be for me to get someone to replace it were it to break? Could Borsalino send a new one, with the little button (silk?) for my local store, which sells new Borsalinos, to attach? Silly question, I know, as I could just ask in the local store. But has anyone had one replaced or put in where there was none before?"

Your local store should stock wind cords for Borsalinos. I had one replaced a couple of years ago.

"There are the letters "G F W" in perforated format on the sweatband as well. Am I to assume these may have been added by the original owner as his initials, or are these perforated letters something Borsalino would have stamped on the sweatband?"

The store where purchased would have added the owner's initials.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 might be the size, even though all the Borsalinos I've seen have sizes in cm (e.g. 57, 58, etc.).

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
My Borsalino is sized US.

Well, mine (inherited from my father) were all bought in Italy. So I guess 7 must be the size, much like with shoes sizes.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. As my fedora was made for a store in Atlantic City I'd expect the size to be American. Actually, I showed it at my main two hat shops here and they both measured it and said it was indeed a "7." At this moment it's with one of them to stretch it to a size 7 1/8. It should be even more perfect when I pick it up! They were of course very interested in the hat. I've seen stuff on the Fedora Lounge saying with at least some of these hats the number on the WHITE tab starts with two digits indicating the year. if mine could be as early as 1930! But then I've read that if it was given that original moth treatment it's probably '60s or '70s - whatever. Is it the tiny white tag that may indicate the year of manufacture? Does anyone here know when they did or did not do that? Anything else about my hat that might indicate age? Brim is exactly 2". Band is wide. Sweatband is leather. Yes, someone else said original store probably embosses the initials of first owner.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another factor in the dating of my fedora: the "diamante twenty-five" marking. If that means it originally sold for $25 in this shop on the Boardwalk in Atlantic that should help in dating it.
smile.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
oy Boardwalk Atlantic City," has the various markings others have described on these forums - with the 1857 and 1900 notes, the "'Diamante' twenty-five" note, the "Augusta" label, etc. All beautiful, in excellent condition. It's got the probably embosses the Sweatband is leather. Yes, someone else said original store this an "Alpine-style" fedora?original owner as his initials, or are these perforated letters something Borsalino would have stamped on the sweatband? joined" a while back, it's not letting me post so far. initials of first owner. Another factor in the dating of my fedora: the "diamante twenty-five" marking. If that means it originally sold f I "to it "alpestre 7" with the numbers "3055" and "58493." From what I find on the Web the word means "Alpine" so is that to imply Boralino considered wind trolly I've asked about. I had assumed any size tag had been removed or fell off, but now I see the number "7" in two places - hidden underneath the leather sweatband. One is a piece of leather, I think, which has stamped in

The wind cord is a bit worn in Some more details and a few new inquiries re my newly acquired vintage dark loden fur felt Borsalino fedora.I'd like to participate in the Borsalino Brotherhood on the Fedora Lounge site but, even though "made expressly for me have one spot; does anyone know how difficult it might be for me to get someone to replace it were it to break? Could Borsalino send a new one, with the little button (silk?) for my local store, which sells new Borsalinos, to attach? Silly question, I know, as I could just ask in the local store. But has anyone had one replaced or put in where there was none before?

worship.gif
Thanks. As my fedora was made for a store in Atlantic City I'd expect the size to be American. Actually, I showed it at my main two hat shops here and they both measured it and said it was indeed a "7." At this moment it's with one of them to stretch it to a size 7 1/8. It should be even more perfect when I pick it up! They were of course very interested in the hat. I've seen stuff on the Fedora Lounge saying with at least some of these hats the number on the WHITE tab starts with two digits indicating the year. if mine could be as early as 1930! But then I've read that if it was given that original moth treatment it's probably '60s or '70s - whatever. Is it the tiny white tag that may indicate the year of manufacture? Does anyone here know when they did or did not do that? Anything else about my hat that might indicate age? Brim is exactly 2". Band is wide.
This beautiful object, stated to borsalino $25 in this shop on the Boardwalk in Atlantic that should help in dating it.
smile.gif

There are the letters "G F W" in perforated format on the sweatband as well. Am I to assume these may have been added by the

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bizarre how my last two posts got screwed up, with the earlier one of yesterday listed later with an early Sunday morning time assigned....
Hope you can make these out; I don't want to redo.... How annoying!
plain.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see dopey thought this was a ha ha. I don't think you'd appreciate your posts being screwed up, sonny. This immature nonsense spoils the forum.
plain.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, dopey, how about being a true gentleman and deleting your last, moronic post here so we can go on with our lives? A few stokes of the finger with copying and pasting in a childlike manner don't really contribute positively to this forum. I don't hear any laughs, either.
plain.gif

If you remove your ridiculous post mocking my posts I promise to remove mine, so we can get back to business and fun here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics