• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Borrelli vs. Brioni vs. Barba - Fit

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I did a few searches but couldn't find a post comparing/contrasting......

I have a few Borrelli shirts and absolutely love the fit. I want to order a Brioni or Barba online but am not quite sure what to expect. Do they all fit roughly the same (high armholes, slimmer, etc)? Cheers!

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Borrelli is better than both of them, IMO...

ragdoll

Reaction score
I don't have an opinion regarding Brioni but I think that Barba Gold Label to be on par with Borrelli. Barba's Buonomassa line is superior to the standard Borrelli line. I have not compared Barba with Borrelli Royal Collection which have upgraded fabrics.

Barba tends to run with a slimmer fit than Borrelli shirts destined for the US market as one would find at Neiman Marcus. I take a 16 in Borrelli and fit well into a 16.5 Barba shirt. The fit of Borrelli made for the Euro market is very similar to Barba which I believe is sold in the US through Ian Daniels (theworldsfinest).

Is anyone aware of a B&M store in the US selling Barba?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally like my Barba Napoli shirts better than my Borrelli ones. Trimmer silhouette, nicer fabrics, similar attention to details

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Brioni has some terrific fabrics but I have had more buttons fail on my Brioni than Borrelli. Borrelli seems better made in my opinion. I have no experience with Barba...

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on label specifics in each Brand.

I can assure you with total confidence that Barba Gold Label is substantially better than Borrelli's standard shirts. But Borrelli's Royal top of the line would be a different matter.

Brioni is below Borrelli and Barba consisently imo.

However, they all are substantially better than most worn brands.

But Barba Gold Label, Borrelli Royal, then maybe some Kiton have fabrics of incredible quality.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Cheers for the answers guys, I am not horribly concerned with comparing quality (they are all pretty nice)!

I am more concerned about the fit (per my first post).....any more in-depth advice on this?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Cheers for the answers guys, but they predominantly seem to be comparing quality!

I am more concerned about the fit (per my first post).....any advice on this?

--Although the quality is great but not excellent, I've found Borrelli to have the most stylish spread collar and if from the boutique (NOT NM) to have a very slim cut. Barba is similar. Borrelli get's the style award for me but not the quality award.

brescd01

Reaction score
Wow, I bet you are pretty frustrated by now!

I will answer your question vis a vis Barba (I never had Brioni or Borelli). But you are not going to like the answer. They are extremely slim fitting. I personally have never seen a shirt that was so slim fitting. The rub is that because they are not distributed in the USA in any sort of regular sense, the stores the shirts were produced for, varies. So the fit is unpredictable. It can vary by half a size. Most of my Barbas come from Yoox.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: fit, I can't help on Brioni, but I have multiple Barba and Borrelli shirts. Barba shirts (all of which I've bought from Ian Daniels at "the Worlds Finest" on EBay or his website, Shopthefinest.com) run narrower in the chest than Borrelli. For example, size 17 Borrelli is more than adequate for me but I have to buy at least size 17.5 in Barba (I have at least one size 18 too). If buying from Ian, take care to review his measurements of the chest. Strangely, you'll find that different shirts of the same neck size have different chest measurements.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes - my Barba shirts are trimmer and narrower than my Borelli ones

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I see. Thanks again!

It seems like the general concensus is that Barba is the slimmest in general, with Borrelli somewhere in the middle between Barba and Brioni. I love the fit of my Borrellis but I guess it would be nice to, on occassion, have a little slimmer fit. I suppose I will buy a Barba next.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrellis come in several different models that differ in their slimness. It's not marked on the shirt, and you have to measure them to be sure about the fit.

--Andre

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Borrellis come in several different models that differ in their slimness. It's not marked on the shirt, and you have to measure them to be sure about the fit.

--Andre

I would agree, I have some Borrelli (never NM) that are slimmer than my Barba Gold Label and other Borrelli that are fuller (Again, never NM)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40