• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli vs. Barba shirts

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm planning to order a few basic shirts today. Which brand do you prefer?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer Barba

literasyme

Reaction score
Barba generally are more fitted (though that's not universally true), Borrelli generally use nicer materials and more hand-work.

My Barba shirts fit better than my Borrellis, but I like the Borrellis more.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barba. In Italy Borrelli cost more but I don't see the reason. The differences in quality are negligible, so if price is not an issue just choose on the basis of fabric and cuff/collar style.

I would counsel against the Barba buttondowns, though: the fused collars and cuffs really are at odds with the idea of a BD, in my view. I have a couple of those and I regretted the purchase.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I prefer Barba

Could he meet you to try-on?
tongue.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Could he meet you to try-on?
tongue.gif

rimshot.gif

I'd give the shirt off my back !!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you can find them, the Buonomassa line from Barba are nice.

Are you getting them retail? If so, have you considered just getting custom shirts?

- B

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would make it dependant on the fit. i have and like both including barba mtm, and comments by others who ususally go bespoke for their shirts (including someone on the interwebz
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
) was that the fit of on me was what they expected from their bespoke operations (it's quite interesting that I was told that about barba rtw and mtm!). concering the amount of handwork, barba gold will be about the same like borrelli if that's important to you, barba's standard line won't have the hand attached collar, hand sewn button holes, hand sewing on the shoulder seams and hand sewn placket. buonamassa from barba uses wonderful fabrics and has the most handwork i've seen on rtw shirts, icluding shirred back and hand sewing at the long seams acorss the sleeves and sides of the shirt body. retail prices in the US seem often ridiculous to me, I would go along with vox's suggestion if you plan to spend full retail. if the given US retail on the affiliate sites are true, the shirts are (generally) about 1/3, sometimes even more cheaper in europe. sometimes the fabrics used by borrelli are quite mediocre for the price they charge, the premium they want for their super duper fabrics aren't woth the upcharge imho, the fabrics used by barba are ok. (keep in mind that this statement only valid for european market and the local difference in price between he two brands, if barba costs the same as borrelli in the US, things look different for you then ). many people also complain about loose buttons and sloppy handsewing on borrelli, personally I (yet) never had that problem.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll order from the e-retailers and they only have the standard lines. I'm not a fan of the colours of most Borrelli shirts and also Borrellis seem to have longer sleeves which is a negative for me.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both and much prefer the Fit of the Barba's.
Perhaps I am just unlucky, though seem to get more button 'damage' on my Borrelli's, (not to mention the variable sizing).
Separately, I stuck my head in the Kiton Store in London on Saturday and had a brief conversation with the Manager, who informed me that Barba is operated by one of the Kiton 'clan'.
I a still none the wiser, as to why their most expensive Shirt was £775!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will say that in my personal experience, generally speaking, Borrelli makes a better shirt than Barba. I have also found that the Barba collars shrink a lot relative to their peers. Barba gold label is good but I still think Borrelli comes out on top due to better collars and fabrics. I prefer Finamore to both of those though.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
the Kiton Store in London on Saturday and had a brief conversation with the Manager, who informed me that Barba is operated by one of the Kiton 'clan'.
I a still none the wiser, as to why their most expensive Shirt was £775!

Ex-Kiton employees are prevalant among the Napoli brands, Partenopea, La Vera etc all started by ex kiton guys. Kiton also runs a tailoring school in Naples. And their head cutter is an ex Rubinacci guy. Kiton gets a lot of crap for not being a "real" example of napoli tailoring but they bring more visibility to the whole area than anyone else and are probably doing more than anyone else to assure that tailoring stays alive in Napoli for many generations.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I will say that in my personal experience, generally speaking, Borrelli makes a better shirt than Barba. I have also found that the Barba collars shrink a lot relative to their peers. Barba gold label is good but I still think Borrelli comes out on top due to better collars and fabrics. I prefer Finamore to both of those though.

is it the fit?
contruction wise barba's normal line and finamore are indentical, if I didn't miss anything.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you can find them, the Buonomassa line from Barba are nice.

Are you getting them retail? If so, have you considered just getting custom shirts?

- B

Buonomassa is my fav line of shirt.

Regards.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
is it the fit?
contruction wise barba's normal line and finamore are indentical, if I didn't miss anything.

I prefer the finamore buttons, fabrics, and I found the stitching on the finamore's to be neater. Keep in mind that my sample size is maybe 5-6 shirts of each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads