• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli suit - Hard 3 or 3 roll 2??

alexim

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum - help requested!

So I just bought a beautiful grey Borrelli suit from Yoox - heavily discounted from over £1000 to £350.

Link here: https://imgur.com/gallery/9Qmg5

I personally prefer two button suits, but I also like three buttons *when* you can roll down the lapel and only button the middle button. I do NOT like hard 3 button suits, as to me personally they look like they're stuck in 1998.

My question is: do you think this Borrelli suit is a 3 roll 2, with a lapel that can naturally be buttoned on the middle button only? Or, have I bought a true 3 button suit, in which case it's going back to the shop.

Would very much appreciated the guidance of this expert community. :)

ThomGault

Reaction score
The lapel in the picture ends at the top button, so its not 3-2. And DANG, look how high the second button is anyway. Looks horrible. The bottom button is where the middle button should be.

alexim

Reaction score
The lapel in the picture ends at the top button, so its not 3-2. And DANG, look how high the second button is anyway. Looks horrible. The bottom button is where the middle button should be.
OK - but doesn't any 3 button suit look like the lapel finishes on the top button if the top button is done up?

ThomGault

Reaction score
The top of the lapel looks too flat to be mis-adjusted. If it were a mis-buttoned 3:2, there would be more of a gap under the lapel near the top where the fabric was attempting to return to its designed position.
However, that's all moot for this suit...the button stance is hideous. It looks like the manufacturer mis-cut the buttons and dumped the flawed suits on yoox to offload at a discount.

alexim

Reaction score
The top of the lapel looks too flat to be mis-adjusted. If it were a mis-buttoned 3:2, there would be more of a gap under the lapel near the top where the fabric was attempting to return to its designed position.
However, that's all moot for this suit...the button stance is hideous. It looks like the manufacturer mis-cut the buttons and dumped the flawed suits on yoox to offload at a discount.
Yeah OK thanks. Seems like a bad decision but can easily reverse it. However, I still don't understand your point about "mis adjusted" buttoning. All suits on Yoox are buttoned up to the top in the photos. Therefore even suits that are designed to be rolled down will be buttoned up to the top. What still confuses me is how to tell the difference between a hard three button suit and a 3 roll 2 suit IF all the buttons are done up. Also - "hideous" is quite a tough word. Doesn't look to bad to me, and not too different from other three button Borrelli suits on shop the finest.

Stugotes

Reaction score
As you stated yourself, all jackets on Yoox are buttoned up in the pictures. I'm pretty sure this one will look like a 3r2 or even a hard 2 after all.

Perhaps the best example are Boglioli jackets. They look like hard 3s on Yoox, but I know they look more like 2s when you actually wear them.

Just try it on when it's shipped to you and send it back in case you don't like it.

alexim

Reaction score
As you stated yourself, all jackets on Yoox are buttoned up in the pictures. I'm pretty sure this one will look like a 3r2 or even a hard 2 after all.

Perhaps the best example are Boglioli jackets. They look like hard 3s on Yoox, but I know they look more like 2s when you actually wear them.

Just try it on when it's shipped to you and send it back in case you don't like it.
Thanks! That's a bit more encouraging.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Yeah OK thanks. Seems like a bad decision but can easily reverse it. However, I still don't understand your point about "mis adjusted" buttoning. All suits on Yoox are buttoned up to the top in the photos. Therefore even suits that are designed to be rolled down will be buttoned up to the top. What still confuses me is how to tell the difference between a hard three button suit and a 3 roll 2 suit IF all the buttons are done up. Also - "hideous" is quite a tough word. Doesn't look to bad to me, and not too different from other three button Borrelli suits on shop the finest.
Its possible that I'm misinterpreting the picture of how the lapel lays, you'll just have to see it in person to be sure.
But "hideous" is the proper term for a jacket that has its functioning button over the mid-way point of the height. The functioning button should be at your waist, not almost at your chest. High button stances make the wearer look poorly proportioned and short-torso'ed, and accentuates any flabbiness in the stomach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads