• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli Sizing

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the story with Borrelli sizing? The slacks seem to be so oddly ultraslim compared to the shirts.

Shirts: They all seem to be cut rather full - - not as full as Brooks Brothers perhaps, but fuller than, e.g., Turnbull & Asser. They are miles away from being "slim" fit.

Odd slacks/shorts: These are impossible for me to wear, it seems. I have tried on perhaps a dozen different Borrelli slacks and shorts and have found them to be incredibly slim fitting -- the waist is true to size, but the seat and legs are very, very slim. I normally wear a 38 waist, but I have been unable to wear even size 42 pant in Borrelli. I haven't ventured up into the 44 waist range, as the waist is ridiculously loose even with the 42. And, no, I don't have an "unbalanced" posterior. Incotex, Oxxford, Paul Stuart, H-F, Bill's, Levi's, etc. all fit me perfectly in size 38.... what gives?

Coats/Suits: The blazers and suit jackets fit me perfectly in size 46R (though I normally wear 44L or 46L with most other makers). Does anyone have experience with Borrelli suit pants? Are they as slim as the odd pants/shorts?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the story with Borrelli sizing?  The slacks seem to be so oddly ultraslim compared to the shirts.

Shirts:  They all seem to be cut rather full - - not as full as Brooks Brothers perhaps, but fuller than, e.g., Turnbull & Asser.  They are miles away from being "slim" fit.

Odd slacks/shorts:  These are impossible for me to wear, it seems.  I have tried on perhaps a dozen different Borrelli slacks and shorts and have found them to be incredibly slim fitting -- the waist is true to size, but the seat and legs are very, very slim.  I normally wear a 38 waist, but I have been unable to wear even size 42 pant in Borrelli.  I haven't ventured up into the 44 waist range, as the waist is ridiculously loose even with the 42.  And, no, I don't have an "unbalanced" posterior.  Incotex, Oxxford, Paul Stuart, H-F, Bill's, Levi's, etc. all fit me perfectly in size 38....  what gives?

Coats/Suits:  The blazers and suit jackets fit me perfectly in size 46R (though I normally wear 44L or 46L with most other makers).  Does anyone have experience with Borrelli suit pants?  Are they as slim as the odd pants/shorts?
The shirts they make for department stores are MUCH fuller cut than the ones you'll encounter at their boutique.
Don't have any experience with the slacks, but if they're anything like Barba, they'll be very slim and quite tapered (as is the neapolitan style). The jackets fit me beautifully, but I'm on the slim side.

koji

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kabert,
i have a pair of borrelli slacks (from discostu) and they fit just a little on the slim side. the waist is true to size and the legs are only slightly slimmer than standard, nothing like 'skinny' pants. i have thick thighs so this is usually of some concern to me but the borrelli's fit fine. they have a single-pleat and i imagine if they were double-pleated they would fit like those other makers you mentioned. they are tapered at the ankle.

were those flat-fronts you were trying on?

bryce330

Reaction score
What's the story with Borrelli sizing? The slacks seem to be so oddly ultraslim compared to the shirts.

Shirts: They all seem to be cut rather full - - not as full as Brooks Brothers perhaps, but fuller than, e.g., Turnbull & Asser. They are miles away from being "slim" fit.

Odd slacks/shorts: These are impossible for me to wear, it seems. I have tried on perhaps a dozen different Borrelli slacks and shorts and have found them to be incredibly slim fitting -- the waist is true to size, but the seat and legs are very, very slim. I normally wear a 38 waist, but I have been unable to wear even size 42 pant in Borrelli. I haven't ventured up into the 44 waist range, as the waist is ridiculously loose even with the 42. And, no, I don't have an "unbalanced" posterior. Incotex, Oxxford, Paul Stuart, H-F, Bill's, Levi's, etc. all fit me perfectly in size 38.... what gives?

Coats/Suits: The blazers and suit jackets fit me perfectly in size 46R (though I normally wear 44L or 46L with most other makers). Does anyone have experience with Borrelli suit pants? Are they as slim as the odd pants/shorts?
Hmmm, I don't find the slacks all that slim, in fact I recently ordered two pairs from discostu and will be putting one of them up for sale soon either here or on eBay because they are too big for me both in the waist and the legs (they are brown in size 52 if anyone is interested). However, I am used to slim pants from Helmut Lang, Prada, Paul Smith, Costume National, etc. so Borrelli doesn't seem that slim to me. I can see them seeming slim if you are used to Oxxford, H-F, and Bill's since those are all extremely full-cut in the legs.

As Thracozaag noted, the shirts sold in their boutiques are cut much slimmer than those for American department stores. Even among the shirts for American stores, there are differences - the ones for NM seem to be cut particularly full, whereas the ones I have seen at Saks (or the two from Mitchell's I picked up from
Filene's last week) aren't quite as bad.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrelli suit pants are not nearly as slim in the thigh and calf as the odd pants (particularly the cotton ones). Still, they are slimmer than a typical British or American suit trouser. I sold a 42R Borrelli suit and I believe that the cuff was 17.5." I'd say that they fit slightly slimmer than, for example, an Incotex pants, but not horribly slimmer. The rise on the suit pants tend to be about 11".

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. The shirts that are made for NM are cut very generously indeed.

koji

arvi

Reaction score
with all these variations how does one buy internet..imagine only from sellers who take returns..but i guess it's probably an inconvenience that's worth the discount

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the size of a Borrelli shirt I've bought online or through EBay, and I've bought many -- 15+. Most have been store-label Borrelli, such as NM, Wilkes Bashford, etc. but some are solely with the small, square Borrelli label. I really haven't noticed a size difference between the two, but perhaps there is one.

Also, now that I've tried on Borrelli slacks and jackets and I have a decent feel for their sizing, I feel confident that I could at least buy a blazer online that would fit, but not slacks.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I sold a 42R Borrelli suit and I believe that the cuff was 17.5."

That is quite a small opening. My Jil Sander pants which are probably some of the slimmest in the industry, at size 36 (30" waist) have 16" openings. Those Borrellis must have some nasty tapering.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
17.5 is only about .5" narrower than most Incotex pants. It's narrow, for sure, but still perfectly wearable IMO.

drljva

Reaction score
Does anyone have sizing experience with Borrelli overcoats/topcoats? Thanks.

JV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads