• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli shoes

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting some Borrelli shoes up for auction on Ebay in the next few days, and I had some questions about the construction. I have heard -- and assume -- that the shoes utilize a Norweigan welt. Is this correct?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always thought of Norwegian welts as being used on work boots and hiking boots, not fine Italian dress shoes. But I'm no expert in these matters.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kabert, perhaps I had heard incorrectly. What I see for sure is that the shoe has hidden stitching (channel stitched, I think is the term), and the layer of leather on the bottom that hides the stitching has been "hand tacked" all the way around.

Lomezz

Reaction score
check out this link - Norwegian Norwegian welt is indeed used in boots to repel water - the upper is 'turned out' as opposed to tucked in, such that water are better repelled  (it's easy to see in the link provided) However, it is often used for aesthetic effect - think Lattanzi. In most cases, it is easy to spot as the thread used is often of contrasting color and quite thick - see for example Heschung

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as I know, Borrelli shoes are made by Santoni to the tan-sock "Fatte a Mano" standards. I believe that there are some Borrelli Norwegian-welted shoes, but they certainly aren't all Norwegian-welted. Here's a picture of a Santoni Norwegian-welted shoe from Jun Kuwana's website:
DSC03070.JPG

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugghh. No the shoes I'm selling definitely don't have that kind of stitching on them. IMO that is heinous. I feel really bad about my confusion then.

I don't know where you heard that Santoni makes Borrelli shoes. I am actually almost certain that Borrelli makes everything in house, including shoes. That is the impression that Naturlat gave in his post re: his visit to the NY Borrelli store.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugghh. No the shoes I'm selling definitely don't have that kind of stitching on them. IMO that is heinous. I feel really bad about my confusion then.

I don't know where you heard that Santoni makes Borrelli shoes. I am actually almost certain that Borrelli makes everything in house, including shoes. That is the impression that Naturlat gave in his post re: his visit to the NY Borrelli store.
I chose the picture I did because the stitching patterns are so easy to see. They're not all like that gaudy. If you look at your shoes, the same stitching (although not as garish) is present. They're Norwegian-welted. The fact that the model is called Norvegese cinches it.

As for the maker of the Borrelli shoes, I read somewhere either on this forum or the Ask Andy forum that they were Santoni. Based on what I saw at the Borrelli store in May, I can believe it. It's possible that they're manufactured in-house, but it's a lot harder for a shirtmaking expert to expand into producing shoes than it is to expand into producing tailored clothes.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What size?? If they are 13's you'd better PM me
smile.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Then you could PM me...
smile.gif

marc37

Reaction score
Ugghh. Â No the shoes I'm selling definitely don't have that kind of stitching on them. Â IMO that is heinous. Â I feel really bad about my confusion then. I don't know where you heard that Santoni makes Borrelli shoes. Â I am actually almost certain that Borrelli makes everything in house, including shoes. Â That is the impression that Naturlat gave in his post re: his visit to the NY Borrelli store.
Santoni are contracted by Borrelli to make their (borrelli) shoes. Yes: Borrelli shoes are made by Santoni. l'm not sure whether Santoni makes them all, but l do know Borrelli's are made by Santoni. Quite afew people know this. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Forum....hpage=1

naturlaut

Reaction score
Actually, my post you referred to was from a long time ago. Back then, Borrelli had 30% stake in Mantellassi, so Mantellassi was making shoes for them (I might have posted that information back then, but I can't remember).

Borrelli is relatively new in the market for shoes (a bit 'older' than Kiton, but still new). Regarding the shoes you have, it would help if you could post a picture. These makers that we are talking about are quite distinctive; most of us here could tell from a few pictures on the crucial parts of the shoe.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JohnnyNorman3;

From the looks of the shoe that you posted in the Buying-Selling section, they look like they were made by Stefano Branchini  because:
1) nailing on the soles, and the way the sole looks.
2) type of laces, especially the way the ends of the laces are unfinished after the leather tassels.
3) style of norwegian welting.

They do not resemble any of my Santonis (norwegian), but they resemble my Branchinis in technique.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is "Norwegian welt" and there is "Norwegian construction".

A Norwegian welt is stitched on from the outside, right through he uppers, while a classic welt is stitched underneath to the feather. (Alden uses a Norwegian welt on some of their heavy "Barrie last" shoes. Note the row of stitching that holds the welt in place.  In a Storm welt (split-reverse), the (thicker) welt is split halfway horizontally; the underside is stitched to the feather in the conventional way while the upper side is turned up to form the storm bit.

Norwegian construction is quite similar to Veldtschoen construction; the uppers are turned out to prevent water penetration.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some Branchini pictures that make me think that your Borrellis are made by them:
BRC0437b.jpg
BRC0437d.jpg
BRC0461f.jpg
BRC0461e.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads