• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli shoes

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone please confirm whether these were made by Sutor Mantellassi? I thought the Mantellassi FAMs featured a bevelled sole...are these probably mainline Mantellassis? FYI, the liner is blank (no letters or numbers).
35_3.JPG

a6_3.JPG

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes not doubt SM, you can tell by the nail pattern on the heel.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody know the sizing for these? are they typically marked in US sizing, or UK/Euro sizing. If UK/Euro, should I go up a size?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely Mantellassi. To tell whether or not they are handmade you'd need a peek inside the shoe, at the insole. If it is dimpled around the edges then it's a handmade shoe.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, you're the best.

These run very small, almost a full size. I wear 11.5s, and these 12s are tight. I'm going to wear them around the house a little to see if they loosen up. I'm an 11.5US in EG, Grenson and C&J, and, I like my shoes a little loose. I have mainline Mantellassis in size 12 (which fit well) and these are just a tad tighter.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Thanks guys, you're the best.

These run very small, almost a full size. I wear 11.5s, and these 12s are tight. I'm going to wear them around the house a little to see if they loosen up. I'm an 11.5US in EG, Grenson and C&J, and, I like my shoes a little loose.

so that means you wear a 12 in borrelli and a 11UK or 10.5UK in EG, Grenson and C&J?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Definitely Mantellassi. To tell whether or not they are handmade you'd need a peek inside the shoe, at the insole. If it is dimpled around the edges then it's a handmade shoe.
Anyone have an illustration of this? I looked inside and they did not appear dimpled around the edges.

Regarding the nailpattern, please compare:
sutor32tc.jpg
sutor19hh.jpg

These pics are of my mainline Sutor Mantellassis. The nail pattern at the toe is identical, but the heel is different. Does the nail pattern suggest they are FAMs? Maybe the Borrellis fall somewhere between mainline and FAM?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
so that means you wear a 12 in borrelli and a 11UK or 10.5UK in EG, Grenson and C&J?
Yes, I'm a 12 in Borrelli, and a UK11 in EG and C&J.

horton

Reaction score
The Sutors that have Sutor Mantellasi formed/engraved into the bottom surface of the shoe have the same nail pattern as the Borrellis.

The dimpling if any, I believe, is observable on the inside near the front of the shoe (not near the heel).

If I'm seeing things correctly, doesn't the underside of the Borrelli in your picture say "(something I can't tell) a mano" suggesting they're handmade

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the quality of non-Borrelli Sutor Mantellasi like ?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't found them so small. My Borrellis are my U.S. size, maybe even a tad smaller. I'm about a 7.5 to 8 U.S. and a 7.5 Borrelli is perfect.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Borrelli SMs are FAMs. My regular SMs are rapid blake stitched. These appear goodyear welted. Further, I compared them to the J&M Handmades, and I think I see what Andrew was getting at when he referenced the dimpling around the edges. It looks like very fine, but very sparse pick stitching about 1/4 - 1/2" from the edges of the front part of the shoe.

Then again, the nail pattern on my mainline SMs look different from others. Would someone please confirm that their mainline SMs are rapid blake stitched?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I haven't found them so small. My Borrellis are my U.S. size, maybe even a tad smaller. I'm about a 7.5 to 8 U.S. and a 7.5 Borrelli is perfect.
Very weird. As you all probably know, Lance sells a lot of Mantellassis and has represented they run true to size. These are my second pair of Mantellassis, and they both run small.

Mine fit like 11s. I'm sad to say that I'm probably going to have to sell them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads