Borrelli shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Would someone please confirm whether these were made by Sutor Mantellassi? I thought the Mantellassi FAMs featured a bevelled sole...are these probably mainline Mantellassis? FYI, the liner is blank (no letters or numbers).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Those are definitely Mantellassi, don't know whether they are FAM or not.

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes not doubt SM, you can tell by the nail pattern on the heel.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

anybody know the sizing for these? are they typically marked in US sizing, or UK/Euro sizing. If UK/Euro, should I go up a size?

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Definitely Mantellassi. To tell whether or not they are handmade you'd need a peek inside the shoe, at the insole. If it is dimpled around the edges then it's a handmade shoe.

6. Renault78law

Thanks guys, you're the best.

These run very small, almost a full size. I wear 11.5s, and these 12s are tight. I'm going to wear them around the house a little to see if they loosen up. I'm an 11.5US in EG, Grenson and C&J, and, I like my shoes a little loose. I have mainline Mantellassis in size 12 (which fit well) and these are just a tad tighter.

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Thanks guys, you're the best.

These run very small, almost a full size. I wear 11.5s, and these 12s are tight. I'm going to wear them around the house a little to see if they loosen up. I'm an 11.5US in EG, Grenson and C&J, and, I like my shoes a little loose.

so that means you wear a 12 in borrelli and a 11UK or 10.5UK in EG, Grenson and C&J?

8. Renault78law

Definitely Mantellassi. To tell whether or not they are handmade you'd need a peek inside the shoe, at the insole. If it is dimpled around the edges then it's a handmade shoe.
    Anyone have an illustration of this? I looked inside and they did not appear dimpled around the edges.

Regarding the nailpattern, please compare:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These pics are of my mainline Sutor Mantellassis. The nail pattern at the toe is identical, but the heel is different. Does the nail pattern suggest they are FAMs? Maybe the Borrellis fall somewhere between mainline and FAM?

9. Renault78law

so that means you wear a 12 in borrelli and a 11UK or 10.5UK in EG, Grenson and C&J?
    Yes, I'm a 12 in Borrelli, and a UK11 in EG and C&J.

10. horton

horton Senior member

The Sutors that have Sutor Mantellasi formed/engraved into the bottom surface of the shoe have the same nail pattern as the Borrellis.

The dimpling if any, I believe, is observable on the inside near the front of the shoe (not near the heel).

If I'm seeing things correctly, doesn't the underside of the Borrelli in your picture say "(something I can't tell) a mano" suggesting they're handmade

11. Homme

Homme Senior member

What is the quality of non-Borrelli Sutor Mantellasi like ?

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I haven't found them so small. My Borrellis are my U.S. size, maybe even a tad smaller. I'm about a 7.5 to 8 U.S. and a 7.5 Borrelli is perfect.

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

14. Renault78law

I think the Borrelli SMs are FAMs. My regular SMs are rapid blake stitched. These appear goodyear welted. Further, I compared them to the J&M Handmades, and I think I see what Andrew was getting at when he referenced the dimpling around the edges. It looks like very fine, but very sparse pick stitching about 1/4 - 1/2" from the edges of the front part of the shoe.

Then again, the nail pattern on my mainline SMs look different from others. Would someone please confirm that their mainline SMs are rapid blake stitched?

15. Renault78law

I haven't found them so small. My Borrellis are my U.S. size, maybe even a tad smaller. I'm about a 7.5 to 8 U.S. and a 7.5 Borrelli is perfect.
    Very weird. As you all probably know, Lance sells a lot of Mantellassis and has represented they run true to size. These are my second pair of Mantellassis, and they both run small.

Mine fit like 11s. I'm sad to say that I'm probably going to have to sell them...