• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli shoes with blue sole - Sutor? $2250??

nycwallst

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm considering purchasing a pair of black oxfords under the Borrelli brand name. They have blue soles, so I imagine they are Sutors?

The seller claims that they were originally $2,200. Is this possible? Is anyone familiar with this limited shoe run made for Borrelli? I know Sutors typically go for $800 - 1,200, so is it likely that Borrelli requested a particularly expensive shoe to be made... or, the Borrelli markup was very high (or a combination)?

The shoe is now going for $500, which seems fair for $1,000 shoes -- but seems like a steal for $2200 shoes. Please let me know your thoughts/knowledge on this shoe purchase.

Thanks!

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, these are indeed the upper line of Sutors so should retail in the neighborhood of $1,200 if under the Sutor name. I suspect - even though Horace at the SF store won't confirm - that Borrelli simply placed a massive mark-up for what is essentially a re-badged shoe.

I presume you're purchasing these from Ian... terrific inventory selection and customer service. Enjoy!

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
IIRC, these are indeed the upper line of Sutors so should retail in the neighborhood of $1,200 if under the Sutor name. I suspect - even though Horace at the SF store won't confirm - that Borrelli simply placed a massive mark-up for what is essentially a re-badged shoe.

I presume you're purchasing these from Ian... terrific inventory selection and customer service. Enjoy!

Even "massive" is putting it lightly! That markup is in the neighborhood of Tom Ford's!
wink.gif
So, $500 is a great deal, nonetheless, I take it?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perceived value of that discount is completely subjective. I've tried a number of the Sutor models, but the fit and styling didn't really work out for me - so I probably wouldn't buy Sutor at any price. By contrast, a similar level of discounting on Edward Greens results in a feeding frenzy on this forum, although SF has a definitive bias towards EG (and I'm not immune).

With the above in mind, Ian has a generous return policy so you can see in the flesh and try on without risk. I hope they work out for you.

nycwallst

Reaction score
Who is this Ian fella'? I wasn't working with him for the shoes, but would now like to see what he has before committing to this purchase.

rogerm

Reaction score
There have been some reports that some of the Sutors with blue soles have a retail around $500.

I know I've seen some blue soled Sutors at Bloomingdales for around 500-900.

A couple of years ago, you could tell the high end Sutors because they have the signature on the sole. I'm not sure of anything now.

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
There have been some reports that some of the Sutors with blue soles have a retail around $500.

A couple of years ago, you could tell the high end Sutors because they have the signature on the sole. I'm not sure of anything now.

Well, these are the shoes. Does this help? $2,400 shoes, $1,200 or $500? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_695wt_1167

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Actually Ian's return policy is limited to a store credit.

You're correct. I myself consider the policy relatively generous in that he has so much other inventory to eat up the credit.
blush.gif

rogerm

Reaction score
I saw this show a couple of times on ebay (in my size) and thought they were overpriced for ebay and what you can find on styleforum. I think the seller is seriously over stating the price.

Check out these shoes from Ian:

http://www.shopthefinest.com/Store/S...&key=Shoes%209

They are pretty much all the same quality and cheaper. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by nycwallst
Well, these are the shoes. Does this help? $2,400 shoes, $1,200 or
$500?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_695wt_1167

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm

True, the blue-soled SMs at Bloomie's retailing at $500 are crap for that price. Don't rely on color of sole to determine whether "high end," generally. But I think the one's at STF are high-end, in any event.

knowsnothin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
The Borelli by Sutor that I have handled have felt MUCH more substantial than the 800-1200 ones I have handled. They seem to be much higher quality to me. They had a green sole though. Like these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Luigi-Borrel...#ht_2858wt_838

I do not think the shoes you linked to are Sutors. They do not have the brass nails in the sole's toe, nor do they have the groups of 3 nails in the heel.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told they were at Borelli. Sutor has more than 1 nail pattern. Plus who else would use metallic paint?

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knowsnothin
I do not think the shoes you linked to are Sutors. They do not have the brass nails in the sole's toe, nor do they have the groups of 3 nails in the heel.
Yeah, but you know nothing!
wink.gif
Any idea what they would be, then? Sort of odd that it's painted blue on the sole if it's not a Sutor. I like the shoes a lot, and the toe from a closeup looks different than the Sutors I see listed on Ian's site. Think they are legitimately of a significantly higher quality standard than a $1100 Sutor? The photos can only say so much... but they do say something!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads