• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli shirts?

Stugotes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be in Milano next week and wanted to check out some quality shirts. From the WAYWRN thread it seems like shirts by Borrelli and Finamore are quite popular. Now, upon further research I came accross some older threads stating that Borrelli quality declined in recent years due to company changes. Is that true? Some of the threads seem to be quite contradictory. I'm not going to go super-high end here (Kiton, TF), I just wanted to get decent Italian/Neapolitan shirts.

Any other suggestions for Milano? I'll make sure to check out E. Marinella and, of course, Tom Ford.

Stugotes

Reaction score
C`mon, no one?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
new borrelli is still great shirting. Besides finamore, check out Barba as well.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Old Borrelli featured a lot more handsewing and was generally a much better shirt. But quality is still there. It's still better than 95+% of what you'll find in the RTW market.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Old Borrelli featured a lot more handsewing and was generally a much better shirt. But quality is still there. It's still better than 95+% of what you'll find in the RTW market.

Dude got caught for tax evasion, you see.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Do Borrelli, Barba and Finamore offer bespoke shirting? If so, how many fittings are usually required for a shirt? Sorry for that, I`m new to the process of shirting that isn't RTW or MTM.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

C`mon, no one?

I'll take a shot.

You are probably not getting many responses because it is lethal to attempt to give advice on an expensive purchase to someone who seems not to know very much. You seem not to know very much because you are (a) traveling to Milan and (b) have lumped together a collection of non-Milanese RTW clothing makers that (c) have nothing to do with bespoke making.

If you are serious about getting a shirt made while you are in Milan, you should visit a bespoke shirtmaker like, oh, Siniscalchi or Paolo Clerici. They can answer your questions about the process and time to get shirts made. Better to ask them directly than to ask here.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Thanks for the info.

Do Borrelli, Barba and Finamore offer bespoke shirting? If so, how many fittings are usually required for a shirt? Sorry for that, I`m new to the process of shirting that isn't RTW or MTM.

these are all neopolitan...so if youre in milan, you should be looking at milanese houses for bespoke.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

I will be in Milano next week and wanted to check out some quality shirts. From the WAYWRN thread it seems like shirts by Borrelli and Finamore are quite popular. Now, upon further research I came accross some older threads stating that Borrelli quality declined in recent years due to company changes. Is that true? Some of the threads seem to be quite contradictory. I'm not going to go super-high end here (Kiton, TF), I just wanted to get decent Italian/Neapolitan shirts.

Any other suggestions for Milano? I'll make sure to check out E. Marinella and, of course, Tom Ford.

I like my Borrelli shirts, they might not have the same level of handwork as they once did but i would still consider them top tier stuff. As other posters said Finamore and barba are also good to look at. If you have the time i would suggest seeing mina at NSM, she can make you a bespoke neopolitan shirt for not that much, if i remember correctly mine was 180 euros which is give or take what you will be paying for borrelli ($300-$500) last time i checked. BTW even though TF shirts are my personal favorite i would not mention them as being in the same league as Kiton for RTW when looking at handwork, fabric quality, etc blows almost everything else out of the water. Btw i think Marinella only does ties? i could be mistaken with that last fact though.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
F. answered a little more eloquently than i. ;)

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should take a trip to Naples.

Stugotes

Reaction score
I'll take a shot.
You are probably not getting many responses because it is lethal to attempt to give advice on an expensive purchase to someone who seems not to know very much. You seem not to know very much because you are (a) traveling to Milan and (b) have lumped together a collection of non-Milanese RTW clothing makers that (c) have nothing to do with bespoke making.

Thanks for the advice, though I have to clarify: I'm not going to Milan to get shirts, I am there anyway and would like to use the opportunity to check on several makers who seem to be favored by several members here.

I have MTM Zegna shirts and some Truzzi ones and though they are certainly nice, I'd like to go a step further and have shirts that are well made and fit even better.

Quote:
Great, will check'em out!

Jeff,

Quote:
with TF and Kiton I meant in the same price league, kinda ;)

Yeah, wanted to check with Marinella for ties, sorry if my initial post was confusing.

As I said, I'm not going to Milan especially for shirts, so "taking a trip to Napoli" isn't an possibility right now, though, of course, I'd love to do that in the future ;)

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads