• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli shirts - really that good? Who really makes best shirts in world?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks dude, Perhaps older Ricci were made to higher standards than today judging by Nataku's comment.

I guess by construction I meant durability. Maybe I was just lucky with that too? I say trust Nataku ;)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What makes the "construction" so much better on a Kiton vs a Borrelli for example? Is your borrelli coming unstitched when you wear it? Is the material ripping? What makes it "better constructed?" For me, a shirt comes down to: fit, design, style, fabric, and buttons.

The fabric is just in another league.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

What makes the "construction" so much better on a Kiton vs a Borrelli for example? Is your borrelli coming unstitched when you wear it? Is the material ripping? What makes it "better constructed?" For me, a shirt comes down to: fit, design, style, fabric, and buttons.

the riva fabric is much better and softer than borrellis standard fabric...not saying the borrelli fabric is bad..not at all, but go feel a kiton. Nobody ever said the borrellis were falling apart. You said it yourself at the end of the post...shirt comes down to design, fabric, style, and buttons. Kiton collars are leagues better than any of my borrellis, chest fits much better, riva cotton is tops again, and look up kiton's buttons. natural undyed MOP wide buttons. didnt know if i would like them, but they feel great. Go buy a kiton shirt and compare it to a borrelli. its like a rolls royce compared to a mercedez. sure the mercedes is a great car and not breaking down every week, but theres a clear difference.

Viva napoli

Reaction score
I could be way off on this though. Just curious how much a bespoke shirt would cost with similar fabric and handwork that is on a borrelli or kiton?

5 years ago when I made some with them and was REALLY shocked at the price . $4500 For 5 shirts + tax. Almost had a heart attach. And they are not even that great .
Howvere MUCH better than my regular napolitan shirt maker who sadly ,eventhough a lovely person is a crap shirtmaker lol. Fit , is ALWAYS off.
I am searching for some one new as much as I hate change. Will be trying Anna Matuzzo this month when in Naples. Stay tuned :)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

5 years ago when I made some with them and was REALLY shocked at the price . $4500 For 5 shirts + tax. Almost had a heart attach. And they are not even that great .
Howvere MUCH better than my regular napolitan shirt maker who sadly ,eventhough a lovely person is a crap shirtmaker lol. Fit , is ALWAYS off.
I am searching for some one new as much as I hate change. Will be trying Anna Matuzzo this month when in Naples. Stay tuned  :)

at first my jaw dropped. 4500 is a lot of ******* money for shirting. BUt that comes out to 900 per shirt.....and considering RTW Kiton without a discount at niemans is a couple hundred less. And lets face it, when youre paying the retail price for an OTR kiton shirt, a couple hundred more isnt going to be that big of a deal. REALLY curious to hear about Matuzzo. Ive never seen one and only recently heard about her.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this and no mention of Turnbull & Asser? Opinions on them?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

REALLY curious to hear about Matuzzo. Ive never seen one and only recently heard about her.

Derek, for your sake, for the sake of your pocket book, run. Run far, far away. :D

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Derek, for your sake, for the sake of your pocket book, run. Run far, far away. :D

oh yeah?? details man! do you have any experiance? or even better...any pics?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All of this and no mention of Turnbull & Asser? Opinions on them?

Good shirts, decent fabrics, zero handwork and quite pricey - is why they don't figure. Much prefer my Borrelli to my T&A.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

oh yeah?? details man! do you have any experiance? or even better...any pics?

Nah man, my experience is about as newb as it gets. One of my dad's friends has a few and I saw one in the wild at a cocktail party. From what I have seen they are awesome. I didn't take a closer look or investigate further for fear of being sucked in. Need to remember I'm still a small tymer. For now. :embar:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Nah man, my experience is about as newb as it gets. One of my dad's friends has a few and I saw one in the wild at a cocktail party. From what I have seen they are awesome. I didn't take a closer look or investigate further for fear of being sucked in. Need to remember I'm still a small tymer. For now. :embar:

gah. hard to imagine better than kiton, id LOVE to get my hands on one.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threadsurrection! I've been doing some research on shirts and figured with the recent influx of new visitors the D's 11/11/11 post, more could benefit from this thread.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard the new Borrelli shirts have plastic buttons :(

Ivon

Reaction score
For those prices, I doubt that they can get away with plastic buttons, especially if their competition still use MOP. It's been a while since I've bought a Borelli, the way the sleeves are set in make me afraid to launder them, the collar is nice. Recently I was told that Robert Jones will start carrying them last time I was in the store.

Last I heard they have three cuts, reg, slim and don't breathe out. My one Attolini shirt is fantastic and Brioni makes a very nice shirt. These days I buy reg Zegna on sale, availability is good and prices are okay. Haven't had a T&A shirt since they closed their Toronto store many years ago, but on the whole Hilditch and N&L shirts are nearly as nice as Italian ones. Anybody have any experience with Emma Willis? I hear good things about her shirts, might be worth a try.

Can't really comment on my local bespoke makers, they have good reps, but I found the shirts lacking when I saw them on a colleague.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads