Borrelli shirts - really that good? Who really makes best shirts in world?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jclin10, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I guess by construction I meant durability. Maybe I was just lucky with that too? I say trust Nataku ;)

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The fabric is just in another league.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

the riva fabric is much better and softer than borrellis standard fabric...not saying the borrelli fabric is bad..not at all, but go feel a kiton. Nobody ever said the borrellis were falling apart. You said it yourself at the end of the post...shirt comes down to design, fabric, style, and buttons. Kiton collars are leagues better than any of my borrellis, chest fits much better, riva cotton is tops again, and look up kiton's buttons. natural undyed MOP wide buttons. didnt know if i would like them, but they feel great. Go buy a kiton shirt and compare it to a borrelli. its like a rolls royce compared to a mercedez. sure the mercedes is a great car and not breaking down every week, but theres a clear difference.

4. Viva napoli

Viva napoli Member

5 years ago when I made some with them and was REALLY shocked at the price . $4500 For 5 shirts + tax. Almost had a heart attach. And they are not even that great .
    Howvere MUCH better than my regular napolitan shirt maker who sadly ,eventhough a lovely person is a crap shirtmaker lol. Fit , is ALWAYS off.
    I am searching for some one new as much as I hate change. Will be trying Anna Matuzzo this month when in Naples. Stay tuned :)

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

at first my jaw dropped. 4500 is a lot of fucking money for shirting. BUt that comes out to 900 per shirt.....and considering RTW Kiton without a discount at niemans is a couple hundred less. And lets face it, when youre paying the retail price for an OTR kiton shirt, a couple hundred more isnt going to be that big of a deal. REALLY curious to hear about Matuzzo. Ive never seen one and only recently heard about her.

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

All of this and no mention of Turnbull & Asser? Opinions on them?

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

T&A shirting is great...but not in the same league as kiton or borrelli.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Derek, for your sake, for the sake of your pocket book, run. Run far, far away. :D

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

oh yeah?? details man! do you have any experiance? or even better...any pics?

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Good shirts, decent fabrics, zero handwork and quite pricey - is why they don't figure. Much prefer my Borrelli to my T&A.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Nah man, my experience is about as newb as it gets. One of my dad's friends has a few and I saw one in the wild at a cocktail party. From what I have seen they are awesome. I didn't take a closer look or investigate further for fear of being sucked in. Need to remember I'm still a small tymer. For now. :embar:

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

gah. hard to imagine better than kiton, id LOVE to get my hands on one.

13. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Threadsurrection! I've been doing some research on shirts and figured with the recent influx of new visitors the D's 11/11/11 post, more could benefit from this thread.

14. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I have heard the new Borrelli shirts have plastic buttons :(

15. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

For those prices, I doubt that they can get away with plastic buttons, especially if their competition still use MOP. It's been a while since I've bought a Borelli, the way the sleeves are set in make me afraid to launder them, the collar is nice. Recently I was told that Robert Jones will start carrying them last time I was in the store.

Last I heard they have three cuts, reg, slim and don't breathe out. My one Attolini shirt is fantastic and Brioni makes a very nice shirt. These days I buy reg Zegna on sale, availability is good and prices are okay. Haven't had a T&A shirt since they closed their Toronto store many years ago, but on the whole Hilditch and N&L shirts are nearly as nice as Italian ones. Anybody have any experience with Emma Willis? I hear good things about her shirts, might be worth a try.

Can't really comment on my local bespoke makers, they have good reps, but I found the shirts lacking when I saw them on a colleague.