Borrelli shirts - really that good? Who really makes best shirts in world?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jclin10, Aug 5, 2009.

1. orsetto

orsetto Active Member

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
    Ha, maybe someone at AC is reading this thread -- the LA store seems easier to work with now.

They offer hand stitching at AC. On MTM, the premium is probably less than for some of the Italian brands

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

My business counterpart in our Milan office purchases his shirt fabrics independantly and a local 'old lady' tailor makes his shirts for him according to a pattern they developed years ago.

Conversely, all of his suits are 'Designer' MTM, mostly Dior.

'Casual wear' ie denim, button downs, sweaters, boat shoes etc. etc. are strictly Ralph Lauren (his store in Milan is all the rage.) All of this off rack clothing is meticulously altered by the 'old lady'. And the odd jacket or trousers are of her making as well.

I don't know about who might make his dress shoes - but they are plentiful! Long narrow lasts, squared, chiseled, pointy toes are all welcome. The more outlandish the better. And of course mostly loafers in summer and boots in winter - rarely a lace up - perhaps never actually.

I believe he is fairly typical for a fashion/style conscious man in Milan.

There is certainly still a strong tradition of local bespoke tailoring.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

All those bands are extremely popular here, and all of my more fashionable Italian friends know of them, add to that Truzzi, Kiton, PT01 etc. There are many brands known here that aren't known in the US that are very good, too.

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

There are quite a few sellers who have Borrelli shirts for just over $100, at that price I like them. But I will be going with a Thomas Mason MTM shirt next. (Borrelli is too tight in the chest/arms, but too baggy at the waist :fu: )

There is definitely a chance I will regret my choice, but the fit on my $20 modern tailor shirt has convinced me to give it a shot :laugh:

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

haha. Agreed on the $20 modern tailor shirt. The construction leaves a LOT to be desired, but fit was surprisingly the best ive worn.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

What about Stefano Ricci shirts? At the price, they ought to be Kiton level (although I doubt it).

I have not paid much attention to the brand in the past so know nothing about them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I was lucky enough to find three of them at the thrift store a few weeks back. They were all pretty old, but they help up extremely well! Construction seemed top notch. The patterns were quite loud FYI. Fabric felt great.

I would check with someone who has experience with a newer one, but if the new ones are as quality as the old, you would be buying a nice shirt.

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I heard ricci uses the same riva cotton that kiton uses. Ive never handled his shirts so i have zero opinion. But i'm fairly familiar with riva cotton...and its as good as they say ;) feels like youre being touched by a freshly showered naked mila kunis all day. :nodding:

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what are some italian brands that are very good but not known in the US?

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If you do ever go and handle one, give it a good going through and resurrect this thread to let me know (or PM me). Fabric wise, we can ascertain it is consistent with Kiton, but build - wise it would be useful to know more details. At their > $500 prices, if the shirts were not handmade,I would relegate them to the butt of a bad April Fools joke.

Have you tried Attolini shirts? Any comments? :slayer:

Thanks for the details :fonz:. Were the shirts handmade? I am just trying to figure out if Stefano Ricci shirts are an expensive joke with nice fabrics, or expensive elegant tailored pieces completely consistent with their heritage (i.e. comparable to Kiton, Charvet etc etc).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Hmmm I would have to check with the guy I proxied for. I just saw the name, checked them for stains/rips etc., and felt the the buttons/fabrics. He's a SF member who knows quite a bit more than I do about this stuff, so I'll check.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I have a couple. In terms of construction, they're nothing to write home about. Little to no handwork. You're paying for the name/style. They have thick mother of pearl buttons and the fabrics and finishes are very nice. They have side gussets. Mine do not have removable collar stays. I really don't see anything that justifies the $600 retail price.

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

like bijon? :lol:

ive been looking for an attolini in my size at a reasonable price for awhile to try out. I hear theyre top notch, but the collar on kitons are still better. Just from what i was told from someone whos judgement i trust. I desperately want to score a nice attolini shirt with a cutaway collar. desperate. hahaha

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Cheers for the insight :cheers:. What a great pity! Sounds like a $600 rip off to me. Typical with many name brands. They start off way back when designing and making high end exclusive stuff, but when having established credentials, they end up gravitating towards maximizing their profits at a cost of quality.

Although I am not a Hermes follower, they at least have not abandoned their original stamp of quality that attracted sections of society to the brand. Many Hermes dress shirts I have seen are the business, just that the styling and cut is crap. But quality wise, no stone has been left unturned and they are up there with Kiton etc (pity that Hermes make ugly shirts :lol:).

Thanks dude, Perhaps older Ricci were made to higher standards than today judging by Nataku's comment.

In the words of Obi Wan Kenobi, I have not heard that name in a long long time :lol:
    If memory serves me right, this is the guy noted for his loud fashions but elegant tailoring, a bit like an earlier Gianni Versace except he would only make clothes for the rich n famous?

Yeah, I saw some Attolini shirts on eBay and another seller online. They look good, but would not mind checking them out first. I do know that Attolini suits are the tits, and can see no reason why they would make great suits but average shirts. I would imagine their shirts would be up near the top of our imaginery shirt pyramid.

15. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What makes the "construction" so much better on a Kiton vs a Borrelli for example? Is your borrelli coming unstitched when you wear it? Is the material ripping? What makes it "better constructed?" For me, a shirt comes down to: fit, design, style, fabric, and buttons.