• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Born shoes

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
So I bought a pair.  Casual ones of course.  Most of them are hideously ugly, and I can't tell whether the ones I bought were or not (they are quite an anomoly), but I was wondering if anyone had opinions.  I must say, they are without a doubt the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
And apparently, they are hand constructed.

Dan

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair from J&M about a year ago... Due to the unquestionable ugliness and super comfort I use them as Slippers only at home (and when I fly actually, as they are easy to put on and off).Hey... I have kids to marry off
smile.gif
I love them as slippers. Cant imagine anyone wearing outside regularly.

artdeco73

Reaction score
I have a pair. I don't find them all that ugly for causal wear. They work well with jeans. But then, I wear Ecco shoes, too...
smile.gif
I have two comments about the Borns. First, while they are comfortable, they are not as comfortable as my Eccos. More importantly, however, they let in water through the sole. The sole (rubber, of course), has a funky construction -- it has light-colored "insets" (not sure how else to describe them) set into the darker-colored base. The insets protrude a little -- perhaps they are meant to aid traction. I think the water comes through the seams between the insets and the base. The net effect is my feet get wet even when I walk on damp pavement. I'm not even talking about stepping into puddles. The Borns also seem to run a little small -- my size is normally 43 (Euro), but I had to get the Borns in 44, and they are still a little snug. FWIW, the style I have are laced, plain squared-off toe. I think that style has been discontinued since I got them. Best Regards, Tony

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a pair of really comfortable shoes that are actually sort of cool to wear with jeans, check out Medium fiootwear shoes. They are available right now for peanuts on Bluefly. There are a lot of Converse inspired models but without the discomfort of converse. I endorse the Modernist (am wearing a pair now I got on Bluefly - still retailing for full price at local footwear stores) and the Structuralist, but the other styles are pretty funky as well. They retail about $88 to $150, depending on the style, are not ubiquitous, pretty funky, and better than lots of stuff in that price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics