• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borgioli Antigue Finish Rubbing Off????

vince321

Reaction score
Recently, Ron Rider posted some Borgioli shoes on Ebay for a great deal. I purchased a pair and found that they exceeded my expectations. After wearing them for one day, maybe that is no longer the case.

The shoes are tan in color with a light antiquing. After wearing them for ten hours yesterday it appears that the anitque finish is rubbing off. I can't immagine a pair of shoes that retail for close to $500 should have this happen.

My questions for the board is as follows:

1. Is it common for antique finishes to rub off?
2. Can it be treated?
3. Is it possible to prevent this from happening
4. Are these shoes defective?

Any help in regards to this matter is much appreciated.

Finally, I would post some pics but am currently traveling on business so won't have access to a camera until Friday.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you rubbing it or something? what does that mean?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should PM Rider, as he is both the resident expert on all things antiquing and the one who sold you the shoes.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Perhaps you should PM Rider, as he is both the resident expert on all things antiquing and the one who sold you the shoes.

+1 Ron's a straight shooter.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics. I don't understand what you're talking about.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Borgiolis have a heavy, almost brushed-on antiquing finish, which I can envision flaking off if they were badly done. I would like to see pics though.

vince321

Reaction score
I will try my best to get some pics posted. Not sure why the finish is rubbing off. Possibly it from trouser fabric or the way my foot rests while driving? In any event, the finish isn't flaking it's just lighting or almost smudging off.

Really nice shoes, but this just doesn't seem right?

I emailed Ron and he seems very stand up. He offered to check them over and give me a professional evaluation.

More to come if/when I can get to a camera.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads