• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Borgioli Antigue Finish Rubbing Off????

vince321

Reaction score
Recently, Ron Rider posted some Borgioli shoes on Ebay for a great deal. I purchased a pair and found that they exceeded my expectations. After wearing them for one day, maybe that is no longer the case.

The shoes are tan in color with a light antiquing. After wearing them for ten hours yesterday it appears that the anitque finish is rubbing off. I can't immagine a pair of shoes that retail for close to $500 should have this happen.

My questions for the board is as follows:

1. Is it common for antique finishes to rub off?
2. Can it be treated?
3. Is it possible to prevent this from happening
4. Are these shoes defective?

Any help in regards to this matter is much appreciated.

Finally, I would post some pics but am currently traveling on business so won't have access to a camera until Friday.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you rubbing it or something? what does that mean?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should PM Rider, as he is both the resident expert on all things antiquing and the one who sold you the shoes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics. I don't understand what you're talking about.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Borgiolis have a heavy, almost brushed-on antiquing finish, which I can envision flaking off if they were badly done. I would like to see pics though.

vince321

Reaction score
I will try my best to get some pics posted. Not sure why the finish is rubbing off. Possibly it from trouser fabric or the way my foot rests while driving? In any event, the finish isn't flaking it's just lighting or almost smudging off.

Really nice shoes, but this just doesn't seem right?

I emailed Ron and he seems very stand up. He offered to check them over and give me a professional evaluation.

More to come if/when I can get to a camera.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40