• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borg vs. McEnroe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunter

Reaction score
Mates, please consider not only their court play but also overall attitude and style; both of which are lacking in the current crop. To shame with these nobs in their Drifit.

borg_bjorn.jpg

mcenroe_john_rc_us.jpg

Sin%20t%EDtulo-JohnMcEnroe1978.jpg
BjornBorg.jpg

mcenroe.jpg

borg.jpg

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, McEnroe had "attitude" if you want to call it that. His skills are unquestioned.

Bunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Yeah, McEnroe had "attitude" if you want to call it that. His skills are unquestioned.

I can't think of one interesting thing about a bloke like Sampras, including any of his matches--he dressed like he should be planting flowers in the garden.

McEnroe kept it interesting, as did Nastase but as far as style Borg was the face.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
borg wins by assimilation
240x320.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
borg wins by assimilation

laugh.gif

Nice one!

McEnroe for me: "The ball was on the LINE!"

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Stylish or not, Sampras could have kicked both of their asses. And had he been in the 70s I'm sure he'd have been stylin' in the same way.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've not paid money to see too many tennis matches, but I would lay down serious smack for Sampras vs. JohnnyMac (in their primes).

Bunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Stylish or not, Sampras could have kicked both of their asses.

Tennis wasn't always about swinging like a lumberjack mate.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
And had he been in the 70s I'm sure he'd have been stylin' in the same way.

And if it was 10 years forward Sampras would probably be wearing a Serena Williams catsuit. Still no finesse.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, Sampras's volleys had gobs of finesse, which is why he was so good at the net.

I'd take Borg as a player, McEnroe as a character, and Fed would beat them both.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Borg. He was one of my biggest sports idols growing up, and the prime influence on the player that I 'patterned' my game after in high school, Mats Wilander.

I would love to see a fantasy-in-their-prime Bjorn Borg vs. Mats Wilander 5 set match. On clay. Going to 14-12 in the 5th, after 7 hours of baseline rallies. Seriously. Serve/volley is for herberts.

*I remember when Sampras had a 2 handed Connors style backhand as a junior player. At that time I remember thinking "this kid is gonna go nowhere when he turns pro"

Tyto

Reaction score
It's gotta be Mac. Borg was a machine, a sort of proto-Lendl, even, but Mac had both incredible finesse and good power, as well as a tremendous sense of the space on the court--he was more often correct than wrong when challenging line calls. Also, I like that he actually played better when angry.

I don't think Sampras would take Mac apart, but I do think it would be a fun match to watch. As far as Federer, well, I'm not sure....

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to go with Borg. He was the best tennis player I've ever seen. And, he dethroned Connors, who was my favorite.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to wait to register but then I saw this... I don't understand why people have this obsession with old school players. No one will deny Mac's abilities during his time, but you all blab about great tennis players and no one mentions Nadal or Federer. These guys are going to shatter every record your precious heros ever had (Nadal is comming damn close on clay), in a game that is so much more competitive that it's rediculous.

To call Sampras a lumberjack is proof that you know as much about tennis as I do about being a lumberjack... the man's serve beguiled everyone, he won 14 majors and even though he's boring, he was great. Ask Mac, he'd admit that Sampras would totally destroy him. You all talk about finesse, but fail to mention Federer whose strokes are pure perfection. He is incredibly dynamic and can adapt to any situation, any surface. There is hardly a weak aspect to his game.

Nostalgia is fun in the arts, but in sports people make these rediculous claims just because they feel an emotional connection with the people from the past. Tiger Woods would annihilate Palmer, just like Federer would probably annihilate any player in the prime. The game has changed, the difference between number 20 in the world and number 200 is frightfully small. Wake up and smell the freshly opened ball canister.

As to style, the guys you are mentioning look abominable... do you really like seeing the outline of their scrotum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads